3DCoat Forums

How to keep 3DCoat From adding Edges when Unlinking Mesh for Model Sculpting?

Glitch Gremlin

Keep in mind im still pretty new to all this, but basically i wanted to make a Model i could sculpt on top of that didn't have any extra edges that i didn't model myself. the edges throw off the shape of what im trying to go for, though i guess since its low poly i could just keep it low poly, but i figured id ask cause if it can be done i would like to know how to do it, regardless, right?

Ok ive uploaded pictures here but basically i was just wondering if there is a way to keep 3DCoat from adding extra Edges when i Unlink Mesh, or if im going about this wrong?

any help will be greatly Appreciated.. i can't seem to find anything on Google about this subject sadly. 

Thank you to anyone who can help me in any way btw.

Low Poly Object After Unlink Mesh.png

Low Poly Object 1.png

Edited by Glitch Gremlin

Btw i tried to edit it so the bottom picture is shown first, but for some reason it just keeps making the second picture the on the list the first picture shown. so just keep that in mind that the blue one at the bottom is what im starting out with, and the top picture is after i unlink the mesh, and it adds the extra edges. 

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Glitch Gremlin said:

Keep in mind im still pretty new to all this, but basically i wanted to make a Model i could sculpt on top of that didn't have any extra edges that i didn't model myself. the edges throw off the shape of what im trying to go for, though i guess since its low poly i could just keep it low poly, but i figured id ask cause if it can be done i would like to know how to do it, regardless, right?

Ok ive uploaded pictures here but basically i was just wondering if there is a way to keep 3DCoat from adding extra Edges when i Unlink Mesh, or if im going about this wrong?

any help will be greatly Appreciated.. i can't seem to find anything on Google about this subject sadly. 

Thank you to anyone who can help me in any way btw.

Low Poly Object After Unlink Mesh.png

Low Poly Object 1.png

Perhaps I am missing something in your question, but I think you are asking why does the model (for Live Smooth option in the MESH menu of the Retopo/Modeling Room) have triangles in it, correct? That is because all meshes that are in the Sculpt workspace, get triangulated (Surface mode). Part of the reason for this is because Surface mode has Dynamic Subdivision built into the brushes and some of the tools, such as Cutoff. It also is more interchangeable with Voxels than a Quad mesh would be. With that said, Andrew has stated that he may add quads in the Sculpt Room at some point. He is currently refining the Live Boolean featureset, and probably will need to turn his focus next to making some major UI improvements, as that was a stated goal of the 2023 cycle. So, it may be a while before he can get to the quad mesh option for the Sculpt Room.

3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Perhaps I am missing something in your question, but I think you are asking why does the model (for Live Smooth option in the MESH menu of the Retopo/Modeling Room) have triangles in it, correct? That is because all meshes that are in the Sculpt workspace, get triangulated (Surface mode). Part of the reason for this is because Surface mode has Dynamic Subdivision built into the brushes and some of the tools, such as Cutoff. It also is more interchangeable with Voxels than a Quad mesh would be. With that said, Andrew has stated that he may add quads in the Sculpt Room at some point. He is currently refining the Live Boolean featureset, and probably will need to turn his focus next to making some major UI improvements, as that was a stated goal of the 2023 cycle. So, it may be a while before he can get to the quad mesh option for the Sculpt Room.

Oh ok, well it wasn't a huge problem or anything, i was just wondering if there was a way to keep it from Triangulating the model when i unlinked the mesh for sculpting, but if there isn't currently then i don't feel like im missing something. basically when i make a poly object i wanted it to be as "Flat" as possible, and the extra edges effect that its shading "or at least it does when i use the light over the model in sculpt room" but maybe im just over thinking things.

keep in mind like i said im still very new to poly modeling so