3DCoat Forums

HeadsculptWIP

spacepainter

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks!

I need more study for the mouth, that little thing is harder to sculpt. I really like painting on the sculpt.

I don't really know what I'm doing, making a normal or a realtime displacementmap as I draw with depth in the pen?

Great for pores, I guess.

• Contributor
Thanks!

I need more study for the mouth, that little thing is harder to sculpt. I really like painting on the sculpt.

I don't really know what I'm doing, making a normal or a realtime displacementmap as I draw with depth in the pen?

Great for pores, I guess.

In the perpixel "Paint" (some folks say, "DP") you produce a normal map. In "Sculpt", you can produce actual displacement of the vertices and make a displacement map.

• Advanced Member

Wow, I did not know, thank you. What is DP then? I thought it meant displacement?

In the paintroom I do produce a diffuse map as well don't I? Sorry to sound confused ( I am ) , I have no knowledge about UV's and mapping.

And really hoping to get to grips with the subject, but don't know how to learn it.

I understand, I guess, it all has to do with the limit of actual RAm and CPU's to work on hires models, but simple it's not.

• Contributor
Wow, I did not know, thank you. What is DP then? I thought it meant displacement?

In the paintroom I do produce a diffuse map as well don't I? Sorry to sound confused ( I am ) , I have no knowledge about UV's and mapping.

And really hoping to get to grips with the subject, but don't know how to learn it.

I understand, I guess, it all has to do with the limit of actual RAm and CPU's to work on hires models, but simple it's not.

You would be well rewarded by reading the manual and viewing Javis' videos. I suspect that "DP" stands for Direct Painting because the context in which it is used suggests that. Hardware including your video card is also important.

As for UVs, the Retopology and UV tools are documented in the manual. Good luck!

• Advanced Member

Yeah, thanks, I read the manual but I'll try a reread at my current level. But not to sound too dreamy, in a few years time who needs displacement mapping if you can work on a quadrizillion polygons with that hardware coming up. Or am I wrong here?

Ah I found the tutorials by Jones here Had not seen them yet, thanks!

http://www.vimeo.com/user1652304/videos

• 3 weeks later...