3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Materials all show as black after viewing in render room

Jamie Norton

Hey guys, upgraded and now on the latest stable build of 2023. Upon application of materials, this dialogue box appears
image.png.705c50388e286b0d57be1ea90c7f66fe.png

once it hits the render room this happens:

image.thumb.png.ceefff5772f1bd90b21c3a9840fb1467.png

file if saved and reopened remains in this state, what am I missing? Happy New Year everyone :)

Hello @Oleg_Shapo!
I should have added that materials were also not showing properly in the sculpt room, before going to render room. Somewhat worked, but no cavity map, I am guessing.
Also, once render room had been visited and materials went 

I checked in render room, screen space reflections was ticked, and render pass was set to composite. Changing to 'light' yielded no difference. 

Thanks for your help, I am very keen to get this working again

11 hours ago, Jamie Norton said:

I am very keen to get this working again

Strange! If I select "Composite" and disable Reflections, then after restarting the program the shaders are displayed correctly. I can only advise you to reset the settings or wait for a response from more experienced users.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

If possible send the 3DC file to support (at) 3dcoat.com for them to look at with a link to the post.

If possible you can pm with a link to your file if you use a file sharing site. I will look at it. 

I do not have as much time as I did in the past to check 3DC files but I will look at yours.

• Like 1

Hey guys, so sorry for the late response. I didn't realise you all had! 
@Oleg_ShapoIt is super strange. Thanks for you help anyway mate.

@digmanThanks for the advice, and most kind of you to offer to look at my file yourself. It was happening with any file I opened.
@CarlosanI believe the only thing it didn't do it to was matcaps. Even then they didn't look right. 

In the end (and not knowing you guys had attempted to come to the rescue) I thought it was either a problem with the rendering code itself, or the materials had become corrupt. Not that I am a programmer, just seemed logical. I uninstalled, dumped any files in Documents on C drive, and removed any 3DC entries in the registry. It wasn't ideal, as I will to import all the custom stuff again, but happy it is working.
Went back to the latest stable build. Seems to work fine now, I hope!

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Materials all show as black after viewing in render room
  • Carlosan changed the title to Materials all show as black after viewing in render room

@Carlosanmy friend, not solved :D

Hey mate, I think I **may** have discovered the source of the problem. Somehow it seems that the 'silouhette' slider had maxed out to 100 automatically, or at some point it was actually a PBK error...... as I may have accidentally shifted the silhouette slider to 100 ?? and it was defaulting to that at other times (perhaps that bit wasn't me?) . I think a combination of these variables blasted my render settings with materials (curiously it didn't happen with matcap). I will test more to reproduce and confirm. 
To think that I uninstalled, reinstalled a number of times and edited the registry too.... Damn. I think the source of this problem sits within the *Silhouette and *Light Silhouette * sliders. A complete uninstall, registry savaging and reinstall would have meant that all render room settings went back to default. 
I don't know why it happened when I upgraded to latest beta. Very strange.

I did email support with a screenshot and link to this thread. It did it with literally every file I opened so I didn't send a specific one. 
Thanks very much for the help mate :)

Edited by Jamie Norton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Always you can Reset Settings to default using this command

image.png

In the future if you have render issues again please remember to share the render settings

image.png

< Glad you found the solution :good2:

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Materials all show as black after viewing in render room