3DCoat Forums

How can I increase the performance of 3DCoat??

Hi, bought a new laptop sometime ago, the spec is as follow;

Processor    13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900HX   2.20 GHz
Installed RAM    64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
Graphic Card:  RTX 4070 8GB

I was looking at the task manager, and I don't think 3d coat is using much, may be a quarter of the total, in the best case scenario... and I must say sculpting with 3dcoat even with this hardware has been a bit laggy, are there settings I missed?? or driver issues? I update my win 11 frequently.

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Keith

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

Windows 3DC version 2024_01

Hard to answer in detail. You mentioned sculpting.

Laggy in vox mode or surface mode both. How many millions of voxels or surface mode polygons?

Could 3DC be using your built in video card and not your RTX 4070. Most laptops have a built in GPU, is yours disabled. I am only taking a guess here your laptop has a built in one. 

If not disabled sometimes the built in video card will handle some applications.

6 hours ago, digman said:

Windows 3DC version 2024_01

Hard to answer in detail. You mentioned sculpting.

Laggy in vox mode or surface mode both. How many millions of voxels or surface mode polygons?

Could 3DC be using your built in video card and not your RTX 4070. Most laptops have a built in GPU, is yours disabled. I am only taking a guess here your laptop has a built in one. 

If not disabled sometimes the built in video card will handle some applications.

ah, I missed a few... regarding your counter question, I mainly sculpt in Vox mode, I think my visible poly count is like 3 xxx xxx, 3 million? but I think not on my current Vox tree as I did some body suit sculpting underneath the armour I am currently sculpting... but still not making sense as the reading from the task manager not showing that much of usage, however, I wouldn't be able to see all of the usage of all time, for example, when the sculpting became laggy for a brief second, I wouldn't know if the usage had spiked, so can't be 100% sure... 

3dcoat should be using my RTX 4070, as I had the same concern, so I specifically set the software to use the RTX card...

edit: I am using 2023 3dcoat!

hope that answered some of the missing pieces. Thanks again!

Keith

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, keithfishbiscuit said:

ah, I missed a few... regarding your counter question, I mainly sculpt in Vox mode, I think my visible poly count is like 3 xxx xxx, 3 million? but I think not on my current Vox tree as I did some body suit sculpting underneath the armour I am currently sculpting... but still not making sense as the reading from the task manager not showing that much of usage, however, I wouldn't be able to see all of the usage of all time, for example, when the sculpting became laggy for a brief second, I wouldn't know if the usage had spiked, so can't be 100% sure... 

3dcoat should be using my RTX 4070, as I had the same concern, so I specifically set the software to use the RTX card...

edit: I am using 2023 3dcoat!

hope that answered some of the missing pieces. Thanks again!

Keith

With that system, 3DCoat sculpting should be very robust. Some Voxel brushes do use the GPU for acceleration, such as the SMOOTH and FILL brushes. I don't remember which other brush(es) got the GPU treatment (because the normal CPU multi-threading was still not good enough for those tools). Could you possibly do a screen recording to demonstrate this laggy behavior. We should be able to see in the status bar, in the bottom of the UI (lower left is the FPS counter), and if there is a noticeable dip in FPS, that indicates some kind of lag.

I tested a few years ago, sculpting with the new sculpting brush engine on a new AMD CPU (4800H) laptop, and it was really smooth and robust on a model well over 10-20 million polys. Your laptop should be a stellar performer in this regard. 

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

With that system, 3DCoat sculpting should be very robust. Some Voxel brushes do use the GPU for acceleration, such as the SMOOTH and FILL brushes. I don't remember which other brush(es) got the GPU treatment (because the normal CPU multi-threading was still not good enough for those tools). Could you possibly do a screen recording to demonstrate this laggy behavior. We should be able to see in the status bar, in the bottom of the UI (lower left is the FPS counter), and if there is a noticeable dip in FPS, that indicates some kind of lag.

I tested sculpting a few years ago, the sculpting with the new sculpting brush engine, on a new AMD CPU (4800H) laptop, and it was really smooth and robust on a model well over 10-20 million polys. Your laptop should be a stellar performer in this regard. 

thanks for your help friend. May be I can try updating to 2024 version, as you mentioned in your previous post, or may be the invisible layer, the ones I hide are causing the problem, at any rate, will try to look for cause of issue. Right now, I don't think I can commit to record anything, may be my laziness rather... good to know my laptop should be able to handle the software smoothly.

Keith