3DCoat Forums

how to make a hair mesh?

Posted (edited)

Hello,  I'm working on sculpting my first human head  and I'm wondering, what tool would be the easiest to make hair with (that I can texture in the fine details later)
I started with the muscle tool, but it looks like it won't work since it's adding too much volume.

Is there a better tool?

This is what I'm after

--Joshuaimage.thumb.png.ad9259c4dde6db6cec0045b6737107c9.png

Edited by jammer42777

10 hours ago, jammer42777 said:

Hello,  I'm working on sculpting my first human head  and I'm wondering, what tool would be the easiest to make hair with (that I can texture in the fine details later)
I started with the muscle tool, but it looks like it won't work since it's adding too much volume.

Is there a better tool?

I will try the replicator as long as it doesn't crash like crazy

Thank you

--Joshua

So this is me frim the future, I had the volume too high for the muscle tool,  So it's still decent, Also

• Advanced Member

if you want optimised game hair , hair fibres arent the answer .. you need a couple of  flat planes , and a good ahir texture and variate those across your mesh ,

if you want realistic hair then zbrushes hair fibres or xgen for maya .. 

blender also has hair particles .. 

the thing is , use the tool to its best uses and 3dcoat even though it caters for a massive variety of uses , hair isnt one of them 

55 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

if you want optimised game hair , hair fibres arent the answer .. you need a couple of  flat planes , and a good ahir texture and variate those across your mesh ,

if you want realistic hair then zbrushes hair fibres or xgen for maya .. 

blender also has hair particles .. 

the thing is , use the tool to its best uses and 3dcoat even though it caters for a massive variety of uses , hair isnt one of them 

Actually i just wanted to do the hair blockout  just to clarify,  I would have the strands textured in painter.
Thank you for such a fast response

This is what I'm after in coat
(whole video)

image.thumb.png.c1595f2d87e41624d3efbfe121a985fe.pngimage.thumb.png.c1595f2d87e41624d3efbfe121a985fe.png

• Reputable Contributor

You can make your hair pieces using the curve tool

Ortho mode is best.

Create the curve on a plane. Settings in Curve menu, top of interface. Of course you are not limited to creating one curve.

Create the curve, RMB on the curve and select fill with mesh layer.

The curve is lived link with the mesh so you can move, transform the control points to further adjust the mesh look.

Detach the curve or delete it. 

Now you can move the mesh, adjust with the pose tool etc.

The above is not a tutorial on all the ways to manipulate the curve or using the 3DC tools to manipulate the mesh or making copies.

Example not shown for quality but to show a process.

hair.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

There are many workflows depending upon what the what the user wants. 

As Elemeno said but if you want thickness and no uving atm. Surface mode not voxels. Of course you can create a uv set too.

Create your hair strands in the modeling room, they will show up in the Retopo room as well. Model your all your hair strands as you will have the sculpt model as a guide. Of course you can model thickness with polygons as well..

When modeling thickness, subdivde the stands a few times. you can create the uv seams and un-wrap to the uv set if you so desire. Now you have your hair strands with thickness plus a uv set as well.

Import tool, pick from retopo. Choose without vowelizing. The model will be a surface mode model.

Give the hair strands some thickness when importing if have they are just "one-sided polygons". I did some subdividing too.  No need to subdivide if you subdivided the polygons in the modeling room.

You can create the hair strands as above and then hand retopo your one side-polygons on top of those hair stands, they would act as a guide.

So Elemeno and I are showing you the various ways of creating the hair strands, the power of 3DCoat. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side note. as Elemeno said, One sided polygons work best for hair stands as Transparently is used to create the hair strands. 

after.jpg

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, jammer42777 said:

So I'm watching a video (just a basic one)  it looks like they are just laying planes down into the mesh that are textured,  is it really that easy??

Granted it's in maya but I imagine 3d coat is just as capable.

it sounds easy but its the placement and material that will make it look natural ... hair is hard !

erm in 3dcoat you can .. but ive always found the modelling tools so hard to use ... 

maybe use blender for this one 

• Like 1