3DCoat Forums

material system improvements.

Roger_K

• Advanced Member

I was watching a demo of Z brush the other day and they showed a really neat feature. Basically it was like 3DC's material projection system. you chose an image and painted onto your model.

What was different was rather than simply tiling the image in the view it was applied to a mesh grid that along with being movable/rotatable/(non uniformly)scalable in screen space it could also be deformed with sculpting brushes(like liquify in photoshop), this made it extremely quick to warp a photos features so they fit correctly over the model and then applied without having to constantly reposition the image to fit the features of the model. This method was super fast and there was much less clean up needed to get a consistent texture.

Another thing that would be very useful would be some basic colour correction tools in the material mode. Its really annoying when you have to load photoshop just to brighten or colourise a texture. Brightness/Contrast and a HSV control would be so very welcome :)

As a side note it would also be useful to not be restricted to a max of 50% opacity for the overlay a slider would be much better.

• Advanced Member

yer late to the party, Roger. ;):)

Andrew just implemented a material 'liquify' capacity in the latest beta (so request #1 = pretty much granted). :)

(I do like that it seems to conform a bit to the model, tho, in those videos)

I agree with your other 2 items...they'd be handy and time-savers. (you can, of course, edit layers

once you've applied your materials, as well as use the brush right under the 'airbrush' for specific

edits that are brush-based...but perhaps more tedious than your suggested full material control)

• Advanced Member
yer late to the party, Roger. ;):)

Andrew just implemented a material 'liquify' capacity in the latest beta (so request #1 = pretty much granted). :)

I agree with your other 2 items...they'd be handy and time-savers. (you can, of course, edit layers

once you've applied your materials, as well as use the brush right under the 'airbrush' for specific

edits that are brush-based...but perhaps more tedious than your suggested full material control)

Thats brilliant, thanks for the heads up :)

The thing about doing CC on the layer is that you can paint multiple materials. and you cant paint on an existing layer because youll CC the whole thing

• Advanced Member

Wailingmonkey, is there a tutorial somewhere explaining how to use this tool. If not could you please give a brief explanation to get me started! :)

Thanks

• Advanced Member
Wailingmonkey, is there a tutorial somewhere explaining how to use this tool. If not could you please give a brief explanation to get me started! :)

Thanks

Open a material, in the middle of the floating menu 'preview options' say 'paint'. Change this to Distort image. now you can push and pull areas of the image about. to match the features of the model you are painting on. say you line up 1 eye perfectly but because the picture is asymetrical the other eye does not match you model. now you just push it into place. if the nostrils dont line up just push them into place. The nice thing is once you are done you can paint the texture in 1 hit. removing the need to paint little islands and then spend time filling in the games and matching the bits up

I have done second request too because without this feature materials system looks incomplete.

Of course it still requires some improvements - drag & drop images, edit slices in ext editor, possibly internal browser for fast operating. But it will be slightly later. Not all at once.

Maybe because d&d, browsing requires some not crossplatform stuff.

• Advanced Member
I have done second request too because without this feature materials system looks incomplete.

Of course it still requires some improvements - drag & drop images, edit slices in ext editor, possibly internal browser for fast operating. But it will be slightly later. Not all at once.

Thanks Andrew. The new stull will make my life much easier :)

Very cool, thanks Andrew. :)

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the internal browser. My two cents on the topic; Try to keep it simple with and in line with your new v3 interface. I would also try to keep the navigation of the browser in line with current 3D viewport navigation (MMB = Pan, LMB = Rotate, RMB = Zoom). I think this would go a long way to keeping it streamlined and it would also be great, say if you had a LOT of images in the current folder you were viewing, and you wanted to see more of them from afar... Well, just zoom out. :)

Here is example of what I am meaning:

http://www.vizible.com/technology.html

I saw this quite a few months ago, I believe around April. Anyway, check the videos out for some ideas.