3DCoat Forums

3D from Photos

I got to play with a program called 3DSOM today that is supposed to create a 3D object from Photos. My first test was pretty simple, my old laptop mouse. Not really the greatest model, but it might be alright for a background object or for arch-vis or something.

Here's a little video turn around of my object. I assume everyone gets Photobucket.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s136/wi...photo_mouse.flv

I'll have to try something more complicated tomorrow.

• Advanced Member

I was interested until I read this:" Following our successful launch offer we are continuing to offer the 2.1 release of 3DSOM Pro at the great value price of ?849 GBP or $1499 USD or 999 EURO excluding taxes."

Serious?! :crazy:

Thanks Phil. This is a future 3d tool variety, which i expect will gradually merge with and partly replace many 3d work flows. I posted a question on their website, asking if the software outputs 3d data files.

Yes, introductory tools are always on the expensive side. If a person has a niche market to sell particular kinds of 3d work, then it might prove very worthwhile to pay the introductory price.

Otherwise, 3dCoat might provide much of the capability via manual work flows. I hope so! (but still have not learned enough of 3dCoat)... As to robotic software modeling-- It does need a lot of prompting as to what sort of geometry to draw and what sort of visual metaphors a user wants. Platonic solid geometry, so to speak, does provide common reference metaphors, by which humans can build things, with ordinary materials, of a given historical time. Everything evolves with time. Bo

• Advanced Member

Great find Phil. Will have a tinker with this once home. Could be interesting to use actual renders to 'feed' the software...creating a kind of virtual 3d photocopier for some grungy looking artistic 'feedback errors'

Honestly I was thinking about using this to make a quick buck. I did a model of my home LCD TV and sold it on Turbo Squid last year. I made $20 from it, but it took me several days to make the model. I was thinking if I could use something like this to make a bunch of half decent models really quickly I'd have a better chance of making some decent money. Even if it's just enough to pay my cellphone bill or cover my Starbucks expenses. Even if the geometry was sloppy I could bring it into 3DC and have a base model to retopo on.

Edit: I tried Insight3D and found it awful. The interface is not well designed and the process is confusing and difficult. It creates a point cloud based on the photos, great, then it completely ignores the cloud and you sculpt the model your self point-by-point. I didn't even bother finishing the tutorial

" Honestly I was thinking about using this to make a quick buck. ..."

Rarely i made a few bucks on models, usually requiring more time bending over backwards for buyers... (Started in mid 1990's)...

Good money is made using modeling to support specific niche markets. Use modeling to promote new sales within that specific niche. Better clearify and pin-point a customer's interest area. In my case small-service contracting, but primarily fairly boring niches.

These photo programs all sound interesting except they seems very specialized for the biggest ap users, (like gov). Unless those specific user-areas are your bread and butter, you get very little you can actually sell.

I keep trying to get developers to sell modeling support aps which have an option for a completely transparent background, (like old fashioned alpha mask intents). Or a stand-alone ap which overlays a background... Too complex--> http://harmoniouspalette.com/OpticalCurveF...rveFitting.html

I don't really expect to make much, or make it quickly. I just thought if it's really fast to do, why not give it a try? My main money is doing actual work with LightWave and 3D Coat, but in rough times it can't hurt to do whatever you can.

• Advanced Member

Cheers Phil

Interesting thread.

I have been playing with 3Dsee - also photo based - although you send your pics to thier server and they then process it and dump a mesh into your gallery (at this stage a low poly mesh in .dae format) - but its free. You can then put your object into thier creative commons gallery.

3DSee

• Advanced Member
That's interesting. It looks like the photos can only be from one angle though. I'm hoping to get a full 3D object like a tea pot or a game controller.

I managed to convert some photos a turtles head into a full turn around - but be aware that changes in focal depth and too much of a diference between shots in a sequence (not enough image overlap) will result in errors- as far as I understand it the software callibrates from the texture detail and "noise" in the object - so smooth object with flat lighting dont convert well.

• 2 weeks later...