3DCoat Forums

shelling?

berr

Hello. I have only been playing with 3d coat for about an hour and I was hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to shell models with this program. I use several programs to build models such as Maya, Rhino or Zbrush but when the time comes for me to create an .stl file for printing I usually need to take the file to someone who has access to a program called freeform where the model is converted to voxels and shelled. This is simply offsetting a model in around .08 inches and subtracting the offset model from the original to create a wall thickness. It is a simple process in freeform and i am hoping 3d coat could accomplish the same thing, as freeform is quite expensive. if anyone know of a process in 3d coat that can accomplish this please let me know. thanks

• Advanced Member
Hello. I have only been playing with 3d coat for about an hour and I was hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to shell models with this program. I use several programs to build models such as Maya, Rhino or Zbrush but when the time comes for me to create an .stl file for printing I usually need to take the file to someone who has access to a program called freeform where the model is converted to voxels and shelled. This is simply offsetting a model in around .08 inches and subtracting the offset model from the original to create a wall thickness. It is a simple process in freeform and i am hoping 3d coat could accomplish the same thing, as freeform is quite expensive. if anyone know of a process in 3d coat that can accomplish this please let me know. thanks

Hi there, when in voxel-mode you can extract-skin by right-clicking the Voxtree in lower-right corner menu.

You might be interested in my thread showing a .stl model printed out by Shapeways. It actually arrived today! http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...amp;#entry27371

Anyway good luck :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member
Hi there, when in voxel-mode you can extract-skin by right-clicking the Voxtree in lower-right corner menu.

You might be interested in my thread showing a .stl model printed out by Shapeways. It actually arrived today! http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...amp;#entry27371

Anyway good luck :rolleyes:

Hey Ghostdog thx for the tip! Didn't know this before...As 3DC can export .stl directly, is it possible to use this model for 3d-Printing without any conversion?

Rene

• 2 years later...

when in voxel-mode you can extract-skin by right-clicking the Voxtree in lower-right corner menu.

Sorry but... how it works ?

I only need to make a pant to my model.

I freeze the model painting over the body the pant zone... press make skin and nothing happens

any help is welcome