3DCoat Forums

SNAP in Retopo with hidden object...

cakeller

• Advanced Member

Hidden retopo objects should not be affected by a snap command, or ANY retopo command actually.

I had 2 voxel objects, and 2 retopo objects I was working on in the same work space.

I had hidden the first object and the first voxel object.

At some point I clicked snap, and the first HIDDEN mesh snapped to the only visible voxel object. consequence, the visible object started behaving very strangly. poly's wouldn't build etc. So I started looking around only to find out the first object had been snapped to the second voxel object.

LUCKILY!!! 3DC has an awesome undo ability, so I was able to undo back to before the snap. However, I think snap and smooth should not affect hidden retopo objects.

Am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Yes, i think , it would be natural to not snap to non visible things indeed :rofl:

For the moment what you can do is just use transform tool , to move your hidden objects to a place where

they won't affect the work on your retopo !

I don't see how moving a mesh somewhere else will help me. When you snap the mesh or relax it, it's going to snap to whatever Voxel object is visible. whether it makes sense to do so or not. I'm saying hidden objects should be locked.

Actually maybe I didn't explain the problem clearly.

I retopo'ed a couch base. Then I was retopoing a cushion. I hid the couch, both voxel and mesh, assuming the mesh was safe, as it was HIDDEN. I was retopoing the cushion, and subdivided, relaxed, then... I unhid my couch to see how it looked... the couch was gone?! oh wait, no it wasn't IN FACT the retarded thing that happened?!?! the couch had snapped to the cushion voxel, since I'd hidden the couch.

Now, sure, I could have exported the couch mesh to save it, and then cleared the mesh, and started the cushion on it's own. But then I can't compare, and make sure it all fits together. If an object is hidden DO NOT ACT ON IT PERIOD!!! this is absolutely, unquestionably incorrect interface. I don't mean to be harsh, but it is not normal to expect that hidden object could be altered by any command.

I don't see why it would be difficult to fix this, but I know Andrew has a lot he is working on and I VERY MUCH appreciate all the work he's already doing.

:) I can work around this for now - but this should be fixed. IMHO... and until someone tells me there's a functionally excellent reason why I'm wrong. If I am, I'll be quiet - and work around it. But I really don't think I'm wrong on this (am I?)

EDIT:I've been using 3.1.08 and I am trying this again and it apears Andrew has already fixed some of this... I will reply back to refine my findings, but at lest subdivide appears to be wrking correctly. However, snap still will snap hidden geometry to whatever reference mesh is visible. (which means if you are working on separate parts at the same time, it could mess up your model.)

EDIT2: OK Still using 3.1.08 non-cuda on XP x64. and theproblems still exist, prtty much as I remembered them. I was overly optimistic about the snap and subdivide! still broken.

You can see in the video I'm attaching here, that hidden retopo object are affected when they should NOT be. Again, it's simple - hidden vertices = non-moveable. hidden faces = non-subdivideable... etc.

See for yourself:

Screen Capture Video

• Advanced Member

Best workflow until all is idiot proof, would be to put different objects (like cushions) on different layers. This is more easily done than hiding polygons.

How would that help, since the separate retopo objects are the problem. I put the cushion on one layer, and the base on another and hid the couch while I was working on the cushion... oops big mistake. After doing a few operations, I turned the couch layer back on and couldn't find it, until I found it was stuck to the cushion because it had been relaxed and smoothed over the cushion voxel because I had the couch object hidden.

It's still not fixed BTW.... only partially. but snapping and relaxing still mess up hidden layers (if you have nothing selected that is) it will still apply to all objects, not just all visible.

LAYERS SHOULD HAVE 3 Toggles:

1) Visible / Not

2) Frozen / Not

3) Reference / Not

By default, Not-Visible Layers should be Frozen and Not Referenceable (although I can see some times where hidden, but referenceable would be nice... VERY NICE)

• Contributor

How would that help, since the separate retopo objects are the problem. I put the cushion on one layer, and the base on another and hid the couch while I was working on the cushion... oops big mistake. After doing a few operations, I turned the couch layer back on and couldn't find it, until I found it was stuck to the cushion because it had been relaxed and smoothed over the cushion voxel because I had the couch object hidden.

It's still not fixed BTW.... only partially. but snapping and relaxing still mess up hidden layers (if you have nothing selected that is) it will still apply to all objects, not just all visible.

LAYERS SHOULD HAVE 3 Toggles:

1) Visible / Not

2) Frozen / Not

3) Reference / Not

Hmmmm, seems a common sense, intuitive solution is not available, better to do different objects in seperate files?

By default, Not-Visible Layers should be Frozen and Not Referenceable (although I can see some times where hidden, but referenceable would be nice... VERY NICE)

• 6 years later...