3DCoat Forums

Bull Project

bluerider

Hello I'm new on this forum,

name is Graham Toms and I've been enjoying looking at all the work on this forum. I hope to learn lot's plus have fun sharing some examples. I'll post the examples when ever I get a chance. I am pretty busy with a number of other tasks at work, so I'll try my best.

Not to long ago I was demonstrating LightWave and 3D coat at ComicCon. I was representing NewTek and sharing a booth with Wacom and Corel. It was a blast, the chaps I shared the booth with where great fun and it made the hours fly by.

Each day I would quickly sketch a character then model it in LightWave I used a basic Box Modeled Subdivided method for the object while keeping the design economic with a few hundred polygons.

I would then export it into 3D Coat and proceed to textured it. I would start the idea in the morning, when ComicCon opened, then finish before the hall closed. So I tried this everyday for the four days I was demonstrating at the event.......

or was it five days?

Here is one of the characters I did. I am hoping now to continue with this character and add more detail and include characters with it.

1) This is quickly sketched, 5 minutes tops.

2) This image is the basic character modeled in lightWave using Box Modeling method,30 to 45 minutes work.

3) The 3rd Image is the detail added in 3D Coat. Now it was something I could do over a numbers of hours. Bare in mind, most of the day was talking to interested attendees/ potential customers, plus letting them play with the apps on the Wacom Cintiq.

4) The 4th image is the render when I exported out of 3D Coat back into LightWave.

I hope to update this thread with further revisions of the bull project.

post-2086-12541833493259_thumb.jpg

post-2086-12541834113269_thumb.jpg

post-2086-12541836548844_thumb.jpg

post-2086-12541836690088_thumb.jpg

Hey Graham!

It is good to see you joining the community over here as well, I am glad to see you have. Each time I see one of your sketches on the NT forums I wish I had more time to draw, and find them all hugely inspiring.

I like your bull so far! It's interesting to hear, I didn't know that software companies were making appearances at ComicCon now. It's a good idea to target those kinds of places as well. Many talented artists go there.

Anyway, again it is good to see you here now on the 3DC forums. There is no doubt you'll be submitting more of your awesome work. :)

geothefaust,

Thanks for the encouragement about my work.

Yes ComicCon, I figured this was a potential market that's bound to start wanting to expand their repertoire towards digital 3D. I love going there, it probably my favorite event of the year, there is so much great artwork to see.

philnolan3d,

As odd as it sounds, I hadn't thought of posting the bull project on there.

I've spent all night trying a character out to compliment the bull. I've been experimenting in 3D Coat and it just occurred to me about using the layers as stencils....duh. Never occurred to me before, so much to learn, so little time.

Off to bed to get sleep.

I have been working on a lot of video recently. However, I have managed to work on another character to accompany the bull.

Build in LightWave 3D 9.6 and exported into 3D Coat and textures added in the 'Per Pixel painting' mode.

The flesh is left with no texture because I will be using Fast skin in the node editor in LightWave.

post-2086-1254327637905_thumb.jpg