3DCoat Forums

Matching Spec in LightWave

philnolan3d

On my model I have the spec looking really nice in 3DC, But now I've exported to LightWave and I'm trying to get the spec to match. The big issue being that LW has spec as well as gloss settings, while 3DC only has spec. Any idea how 3DCs gloss translates?

• Advanced Member

Do you make spec in 3dc as separate layer? How do you make your specular maps?

My workflow for max and lw are the same. Paint highlights in 3dc and export map and put into spec input in max or lw. Just simple not exact though. Gloss in main app controls how sharp it looks so again it looks different to 3dc. Maybe you can bake everything into 3dc so it looks exactly the same in the main app.

Yes I do the same as you for exporting the spec map, but 3DC handles gloss differently, like less spec = less gloss. What I ended up doing was using the spec map for the gloss as well, then increasing the spec layer opacity to 190%. That got me pretty close, then I used the same image as the reflection map which made things look different anyway.

• Advanced Member

There was a topic on this about what specularity means in Lightwave3D, but I can't find it now. :(

Andrew will spank me if I mess this up too badly, so bear with my ignorance on some matters. :)

The best I can figures and I hope this is not too confusing is that Specularity maps equivalent in LIGHTWAVE3D are when rendered out at 100 percent specularity come into LIGHTWAVE3D as 16 Percent Gloss (in this example only)

According to a reference, the GLOSS (also called Luminance) is the spread of the specularity across the map.

The lower the GLOSS the bigger the Spread of the Specularity. (See IMAGE D for 0 GLOSS and 100 percent specularity).

For 100 percent spectularity export via OBJ from 3D Coat.

In this particular example the GLOSS was at 16 percent, while the Specularity gradient map is at 100 percent (HEX: 3f3f3f) (RGB = 24.7, 24.7, 24.7).

Note 1: GLOSS IS ALSO CALLED SHININESS IN SOME APPLICATIONS

NOTE 2: THE GRAYCALE GRADIENT USED BY 3D COAT IS ALSO CALLED HIGHLIGHT

IN SOME APPLICATIONS or SPECULARITY in the FORM OF A MAP FROM 3D COAT

NOTE 3: In lightwave3d and other applications the lower the GLOSS (also called Luminance values) the bigger the spread of the specularity - See Figure D.

references:

In a Google Books Lightwave3d by Leigh Van Der byle, glossiness and specularity can

be found here;

http://books.google.com/books?

id=pZ0_Ut4w1JkC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=gloss+and+specularity+lightwave3d&source=bl&ots=j

PAURsEbj9&sig=5fMi1wOWHC74KnO6AiKI0jV5XCk&hl=en&ei=njzbSqHCOIHQ8QaTnbS3BQ&sa=X&oi=boo

k_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Errata: image submitted

Images A, B, C and D are rendered from a 3D application not 3D coat. Sorry

speculairtyimg.jpg

• Like 1