3DCoat Forums

Beta Version and Release Version request

digman

• Reputable Contributor

Hi all, I'm putting in a request to Andrew to have two versions running on one computer, The official version and a beta version for whoever wants to test new features without effecting the release version.

I like testing all the newest features when they come out but now have reached a frustration level where even areas that were working sometimes now are broken in the new updates. Now it is my choice to test beta but since Andrew does not have closed beta testing having two versions running on one computer does not seem like a bad idea. We had that with the 3.0 alpha version.

That way you can keep your important work in a good workflow plus test new features.

Also it's hard to help "new" people to 3DCoat when there are several versions floating about.

I would prefer to answer only questions for a release version to help new users or someone stumped on a problem. A separate forum section could be setup just for beta testing the new features and reporting on things that get broken.

That way you could encourage new users to learn the interface and workflow of 3Dcoat before diving into the beta world.

We talk alot about the new features in the forums so they are bound to tryout the newest beta which could have something broken in it. I do like helping people but what has happened on several occasions is I have answered a question based upon something working, After posting the answer, I rechecked the process and found what did work is now broken in the newest beta or they have a beta or two back when something different was broken. It just gets confusing for all. There again is the need for two versions. We then could answer questions with confidence.

Any bugs found in the release version would be fixed too.

I think that is a reasonable request. The old hats at 3DCoat can keep their important work flowing through the release version without having to worry if something is broken but also test new features for future releases. That is my 2cents worth... :blink:

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, I enjoy testing betas too,just to be clear I was not asking for closed beta testing, just for two versions to run on the same computer, one the release plus a beta version. Right now you can only have one version of 3DCoat running on your computer.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi Digiman - you can run more than one version on your system. Not both at once of course.

I keep four versions in seperate directories with one linked "brush/pens/textures' directory to save on filespace.

I prefer to download beta releases a week or so after announced, just to let others do the hard work on testing & reporting issues for me :)

(if that sounds selfish I only get time at night for my love affair with mistress 3d Coat)

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Digiman - you can run more than one version on your system. Not both at once of course.

I keep four versions in seperate directories with one linked "brush/pens/textures' directory to save on filespace.

I prefer to download beta releases a week or so after announced, just to let others do the hard work on testing & reporting issues for me :)

(if that sounds selfish I only get time at night for my love affair with mistress 3d Coat)

Well, Hot dog, never knew that or was informed of that fact. Thanks a bunch mate...

• Advanced Member

No worries :)

Just as a further tip I found a case when this 'failsafe' strategy didn't resolve a critical error on launch I started getting after a new release installation. Something had gone wrong and I rolled back version after version but each crashed the moment I selected Voxel room.

Debugged with Andrew's help and it turned out had a corrupt Options.xml - this file is kept on my system at

Libraries->Documents->3D-CoatV3

Can be good to check here in case of catastrophic failure

Install release version to one folder. Drag shortcuts from start menu to desktop or somewhere and rename, call it on your taste.

Then install beta version to other folder and do same actions.

Every time you will download beta or release install it to the corresponding folder and use corresponding shortcuts.

• Reputable Contributor

Install release version to one folder. Drag shortcuts from start menu to desktop or somewhere and rename, call it on your taste.

Then install beta version to other folder and do same actions.

Every time you will download beta or release install it to the corresponding folder and use corresponding shortcuts.

Andrew,I know your busy so it is appreciate that you take the time to answer this post...