3DCoat Forums

Unique Layers per Material/Object

ghib

• Advanced Member

Does anyone else find the lack of versatility with the current Layers system extremely frustrating or is it just me.

I constantly run into problems when I save my layers to psd file for photoshop editing then import back again. multiple extra layers and lack of photoshop-style thumbnail on the layers only adds to the confusion.

I'd much rather see this issue fixed than fancy voxel tools or Ptex.

Sorry Andrew I love using this program but it's really starting to frustrate me.

Does anyone else find the lack of versatility with the current Layers system extremely frustrating or is it just me.

I constantly run into problems when I save my layers to psd file for photoshop editing then import back again. multiple extra layers and lack of photoshop-style thumbnail on the layers only adds to the confusion.

I'd much rather see this issue fixed than fancy voxel tools or Ptex.

Sorry Andrew I love using this program but it's really starting to frustrate me.

Please post feature requests or bugs into the correspondig threads.

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Taros, I posted in this section of the forum believing it was the correct place for this type of discussion. To quote the forum heading:-

'3D-Coat

Here you can discuss 3D-Coat, it's properties and facility and also share ideas for improving the program'

Thanks for your concern

• Advanced Member

+1 completely agree.

Thumbnails for the layers in the paint room would save me a lot of time, and is a basic feature that is just assumed to be in a modern painting app IMO.

+1 Painting is good, but navigation of layers ( and sub-objects) is still cumbersome. I also appreciate the scope of what Andrew is trying to do, but I agree that some core features need to be solidified before adding too much in.

Just my POV.

b

• Reputable Contributor

Would anyone else like to see masks per layer with a thumbnail in each layer, just like in Photoshop. I paint on those masks all the time in PS...and it's something I really miss in 3DC. For one thing, it maintains a non-destructive workflow. When all you have in 3DC is the Eraser, it is very limiting and primitive. Just wondered if anyone thought about this too.

• Advanced Member

Would anyone else like to see masks per layer with a thumbnail in each layer, just like in Photoshop. I paint on those masks all the time in PS...and it's something I really miss in 3DC. For one thing, it maintains a non-destructive workflow. When all you have in 3DC is the Eraser, it is very limiting and primitive. Just wondered if anyone thought about this too.

Definitely. Layer masking is a major requirement, especially for moving files back and forth with Photoshop. I had assumed it was already in the pipeline, but if not then pls do add it as a wishlist item.

b

• Advanced Member

Due to the lack of alpha masks for layers while using 3DC in the paint room... I'm often reminded of using some freeware paint app from 5 years ago... Another puzzling element that is sorely lacking from 3DC IMO.

this is a feature that anyone from ANY (decent)other 3D paint app is likely hurting for in 3DC, and even if you dont come from another 3D paint/sculpt app, it's got to be very apparent how the lack of an alpha mask for each layer in the paint room can be quite hinderance to a productive workflow. For me, personally, ITS NOT ABOUT WORKAROUNDS for productive workflows, its about getting the job done right and done quickly; this feature is another example of an element that just puzzles me as to why I haven't already seen a feature request for it... please someone other than me post a feature request for this so I can vote on it, I would post one, but frankly I'm getting tired of meeting strong apprehension when posting feature requests...ugh

P.S.: If anyone wants to see what listening to your users/artists can bring you, I would suggest a look at blender 2.5...

A few years ago, I tried blender(2.3 or something), and it was nearly useless compared to the other tools I used at the time(LW/Maya/ZB/etc)...

Soon after the Blender Foundation(the main developers) began inviting in artists to work on projects(with the foundation) for the sole purpose of seeing how artists were using the toolset, and how they could better suit/design the toolset for the workflow of the artists... Consider that, asking users who make "great" art with your application what tools they would like added or refined in your application??? I know, a wild idea(would have helped 3DS MAx years ago IMO ;-)

needless to say, after they've done this for a few consistent projects(over the past 3 years or so), Blender 2.49b(especially 2.5) has evolved into a toolset that has given me the ability to choose it due to its toolset and not it's price, on nearly every project for which I'm given the ability to choose my toolset. I'm not saying SI/LW/Maya/Modo/Etc are lacking I'm just sharing an example of an application that IMO has gone from serving no purpose in my pipelines, to being able to fill MANY of the needs for the projects I work on in less than 3 years by taking the approach of listening and working with the artists that work with your application, AND MAKING THAT A MAJOR TENANT OF THE DEVELOPMENT ETHIC for the application.... Ask the community what they need, then add/build it... just an idea that's help them turn a mediocre app into the app I'm by far most productive in compared to all my other toolsets. But thats just me...