3DCoat Forums

Voxels to manual Retop, Uv to Photoshop

Calabi

• Advanced Member

Apologies for the probably stupid question, but I cant seem to find the answer, I've looked searched and googled but am still confused.

I have a voxel model, retopoed which I've attempted to UV by marking the edges, but for some reason I dont seem to be able to adjust the actual UV, it doesnt appear in the UV room. I only get a preview when I highlight over the physical model. Sometimes I can adjust the whole of it, move it or resize it though, but not individually.

Also once I have retopoed and UVed it how do I then get the wireframe texture thing out, so that I'm able to see where things are to paint in another 2D program?

I have a voxel model, retopoed which I've attempted to UV by marking the edges, but for some reason I dont seem to be able to adjust the actual UV, it doesnt appear in the UV room. I only get a preview when I highlight over the physical model. Sometimes I can adjust the whole of it, move it or resize it though, but not individually.

Once you're done marking seams, you need to unwrap it by hitting the "Unwrap" button. Then your islands will show up for editing in the UV preview window.

Also once I have retopoed and UVed it how do I then get the wireframe texture thing out, so that I'm able to see where things are to paint in another 2D program?

As far as I know, there is no way to do this... Unless by hand, which I sometimes do. I don't waste too much time on it, as I paint most of my stuff in 3DC now, with some projections from PS... But anyway, when I do wish to have the mesh show up in PS, I use a plugin for LW called UVImaginator, it's pretty sweet. But if you don't have LW then you're SOL on that... If you wish to do it by hand, check out the attached image.

post-1232-12697334734052_thumb.jpg

As far as I know, there is no way to do this... Unless by hand, which I sometimes do. I don't waste too much time on it, as I paint most of my stuff in 3DC now, with some projections from PS... But anyway, when I do wish to have the mesh show up in PS, I use a plugin for LW called UVImaginator, it's pretty sweet. But if you don't have LW then you're SOL on that... If you wish to do it by hand, check out the attached image.

If I may add to this, I used to use and love UV Imaginator until I discovered LightWave's own Encapsulated PostScript exporter. It can export the UV map as a vector .EPS file that you can load into Photoshop at any size while keeping good sharp quality, which is great for a dense UV map.

• Advanced Member

Ah! Thats what I didnt do. But still it doesnt appear in the UV room, I guess it doesnt matter because you have all the tools in the retopo room, it seems strange though.

I guess another way would be to take the model into Wings3D and project the wireframe of that.

Thanks for your help geothefaust. I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

It won't appear in the UV room until you've merged it into the painting room. The UV room really only shows UVs for models loaded in there (whether imported or merged from retopo). Really there's little reason for you to go to the UV room if you're in Retopo. Just about every UV tool there is, is available in the Retopo room.

• Reputable Contributor

You can also use Wings3D create a wireframe image file if you so desire.

Import your uv mapped obj into Wings3d,select the entire model.

In the upper menu choose window and go down to Uv editor window

The uv map will appear,right click on it and choose create texture at the bottom of the drop down box. It will bring up a window where you choose image size. The map will be created with a wireframe overlay.

Next in the outliner window the image will be located.(if you don't see the outliner window,go back to the main menu window and choose outliner.

Select image with left click then right click on the image and choose export, your done.

Wings3d is free and very easy to figure out, you should have no problem.

Also while in the uv map you can move the islands if you so desire like in 3DCoat.

http://wings3d.com/

I uploaded a 512x 512 quadrangulated uv map just to show you the wings3d uv map image...

post-518-12697367155009_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the info philnolan, and thanks for the explanation digiman.

It seems I have another problem, in the UV preview the islands and everything appear the right way up yet in external software and when I get the wireframe the UV is actually upside down.

• Reputable Contributor

It seems I have another problem, in the UV preview the islands and everything appear the right way up yet in external software and when I get the wireframe the UV is actually upside down.

Im not quite sure of your workflow but I loaded a uv mapped obj from 3DC into Wings3d and used the above method.

Then merged the model into the paint room using the per-pixel normal map method.

I invoked Photoshop through crtl-P. Next opened the uv map with the mesh overlay. Used color range picker to get only the black mesh into another layer.

All worked fine...

UV map the same in both 3DC and photoshop.

A picture of what you are seeing might help plus what external software, Lightwave, Photoshop, etc...

post-518-12698207069215_thumb.jpg

post-518-1269820722366_thumb.jpg

If I may add to this, I used to use and love UV Imaginator until I discovered LightWave's own Encapsulated PostScript exporter. It can export the UV map as a vector .EPS file that you can load into Photoshop at any size while keeping good sharp quality, which is great for a dense UV map.

True enough! I forgot about that too, I've only ended up using this method a few times but it works like a champ.

It won't appear in the UV room until you've merged it into the painting room. The UV room really only shows UVs for models loaded in there (whether imported or merged from retopo). Really there's little reason for you to go to the UV room if you're in Retopo. Just about every UV tool there is, is available in the Retopo room.

This is absolutely true. I mentioned to Andrew that some of the UV tools were not in the Retopo room, so he promptly (as usual!) added them. So now we should have every tool damn near from the UV room in the Retopo room. :yahoo:

That is really strange. As digman said, could you provide us with a screen shot and the software this is happening in?