3DCoat Forums

Real World Lathe with 3D-Coat

• Advanced Member

Hi guys and girls,

I just finished a new tutorial, hope you will like it. :)

realWorldLathe.jpg

In this tutorial, I'll show you how to convert your 3Dconnexion SapceNavigator into a Real World Lathe with 3D-Coat. If you happen to own a SapceNavigator, this is the tutorial you can't miss. If you don't have one, I guess you'll probably want to buy one after watched my video.

Topic includes:

Part 1(6 mins 4 secs, video dimensions: 1080 x 676)

- The magic of Real World Lathe in Voxel

- Quadrangulation

- Paint

- Rendering

Part 2(2 mins 46 secs, video dimensions: 1080 x 676)

- Secret configuration in Preference(The key to convert your SapceNavigator into a Real World Lathe )

Download the tutorial from this page

http://www.cgdigg.com/rw3d.php

If you have any question about this tutorial, feel free to post it here.

:)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for sharing, that's a great idea!

Now all we need is a turntable (pottery wheel) option with a speed adjustment (to include those that do not have a SpaceNav).

Glad you like it ! :) The idea jumped from my head when I was watching the production process of china(vase, bowl, dish...).

Then I found a trick to make my SpaceNavigator works just like the pottery wheel with 3D-Coat.

I was excited that I got this wonderful idea but I think I need an intuitive way to introduce it to the community.

Then I spent two days working on this tutorial, hope some of you could find it useful. :)

I got my 3Dconnexion SapceNavigator for 778 CNY (equal to 114 USD) last year at a local store in China. I think it will be much cheaper in USA, less than 100 USD ?

• Advanced Member

Part 2 is more important in this tutorial, although it's only 2 minutes but don't miss it.

Can't wait to see any works using "Real World Lathe" method from your guys/girls. If you have done something using "Real World Lathe" method, don't hesitate to post it here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

For those who don't even have 10 minute to watch the video, here is the right text for you:

To convert your 3DConnexion into a real world lath, simply go to 3D-Coat's preference and set:

Movement sensitivity = 0.00001

Tilt modulator = 0.0001

Roll modulator = 0.0001

Hope this helps! But watch the video is still recommended.

:)

BTW I'm just curious - How many people here use a 3DConnexion? The videos has been downloaded for hundreds of times but only 2 people leave comment? :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Does somebody already use this controller under linux ??

Not me, but I did want to mention that I tried this technique not too long ago, and it seems that 3DC will override these settings. So, I don't think it will still work.