3DCoat Forums

Better folder organisation for textures, pen tips etc.

Taros

Hello.

Please offer us a better/faster folder organisation for textures, pen tips and all other areas, where textures and images are used.

Attached you see my proposal, which should be done quick and easy.

Best wishes

Chris

post-955-12740821928984_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hello.

Please offer us a better/faster folder organisation for textures, pen tips and all other areas, where textures and images are used.

Attached you see my proposal, which should be done quick and easy.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris,

I frankly consider this not a good idea at all - I don't see improved readability but very much vertical space consumed

for nothing but Content-Declaration. Just compare the space consumption of your collapsed headers with the same amount of Tabs!

To me something like this only can make sense in conjunction with (software accelerated!) vertical scrolling through a dock.

Then one would simply leave everything open and quickly cycle through all entries. This is how things work inside Zbrush and I

find this indeed far Tablet-friendlier than changing between Tabs - but I probably could not stand using such a GUI with a Mouse.

I need daily organisation, because I am using a lot of different texture types. By and by the textures begin to grow, and I can't work without orientation. This is my proposal for a fast switch between the texture categories. To put all textures in one folder means a little chaos for me... :)

As mentioned, I like to work organised as possible and my idea would work very good for me and means less search.

You are not forced to sort the textures in this way. You can use just one folder, if you like and put them all in. My way offers a method for everyones needs. So I don't see a disadvanage in my proposal.

By the way: It is already possible to scoll through the texture list. Or do you mean something else?

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

This is my proposal for a fast switch between the texture categories. To put all textures in one folder means a little chaos for me... :)

Well you already can create dozens of different folders but you can't see several folders of the same type at once.

I think having more than one folder visible has been asked for already and I think that is a good idea too.

My comment concentrated on your proposed GUI - implementation .which takes a full row per entry - I certainly

wouldn't want something like this.

By the way: It is already possible to scoll through the texture list. Or do you mean something else?

Yes I was referring to something different. Not scolling of single sub-windows but of the complete docked panel.

Zbrush accelerates the stroke movement. The (awesome) Firefox plugin for Tablet-Users Grab and Drag might give you

a rough idea.

Let's save words:

Show it to me, how it could look inside of 3DC. Maybe your idea is better, than mine.

The best way to push the developement is to show a concept. Words means interpretation.

Thanx

Chris

• Advanced Member

Show it to me, how it could look inside of 3DC. Maybe your idea is better, than mine.

Taros, all I am saying is:

If future versions allowed for several folders of the same kind they should open up as Tabs

instead subwindows with Titlebar. Tabs simply need far less space as those bold dividers you came up with.

Maybe these Folder-Tabs could be somehow grouped in a special way so that one can see that their

entries are from the same type.

In order to visualize how the Zbrush-Panels work it made more sense to download the Demo and have a try.

I did not say that one should introduce that scheme to 3DC - but I said it is a scheme which works well

for Tablet-Users without Tabs and RMB-activity.

As I understand Andrew is interested in a certain GUI-similarity to Photoshop though.

Ok ok. I think, I got it.

I don't think, tabs works really good. They can only been sort side by side. And the main window width limits the amount of the tabs. And if you begin to sort sevaral tabs side by side, then they begin to be unreadable in a narrow window. I don't like this already in Photoshop or InDesign.

Sorry, but I don't have the time to test the zBrush demo.

• Advanced Member

Ok ok. I think, I got it.

I don't think, tabs works really good. They can only been sort side by side.

Not neccesarily - you could give each tab an own window if you like.

And the main window width limits the amount of the tabs.

I consider this a negligable problem these days - or are you one of the few people left on a 4:3 Monitor?

On a 16/10 or even 16/9 monitor there is plenty much of space to both sides, vertical screen estate

again is very limited = precious.

Yes, I have (still) a 4:3 Monitor. But where is the problem? I din't know, that a widescreen makes better art...

;)

OK. Your comment doesn't really solves the problem. For every tab an seperate window? How many windows I have to leave open, then?

It should be a general solution for everyones needs. Tabs are ok, but not really good, in my opinion.

Lets cut it here: Everyone knows my proposal.

Is there someone, who have another idea?

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

Yes, I have (still) a 4:3 Monitor. But where is the problem? I din't know, that a widescreen makes better art...

;)

Chris,

man, you could consider that I think before I write... :mellow:

If you still have a 4:3 Monitor then you are lucky. They work best for broad variety of Graphics applications.

However: Monitors of this Aspect Ratio are no longer produced appart from cheapo Office-Screens up to 19 inches.

Any - and I mean any Graphics Monitor larger than 19 inches which has been produced in the last five years has

a Broad-Screen-Format.

That means in essence that what you see on your Screen indeed looks very different from what the average 3DC-User

with a newer Screen looks at. If one has 16:10 or broader on simply doesn't run into the problem that a single docked

editor gets too broad, trust me.

Chris,

man, you could consider that I think before I write... :mellow:

If you still have a 4:3 Monitor then you are lucky. They work best for broad variety of Graphics applications.

However: Monitors of this Aspect Ratio are no longer produced appart from cheapo Office-Screens up to 19 inches.

Any - and I mean any Graphics Monitor larger than 19 inches which has been produced in the last five years has

a Broad-Screen-Format.

That means in essence that what you see on your Screen indeed looks very different from what the average 3DC-User

with a newer Screen looks at. If one has 16:10 or broader on simply doesn't run into the problem that a single docked

editor gets too broad, trust me.

Hey. No problem. :)

By the way: My monitor is an Eizo S2100 with 21". I am very happy with it.

• Advanced Member

Taros your idea is actually very good in my opinion. For anyone that does not like that type of layout a simple solution could maybe just be a few available modes for different layouts in the main settings options, that way everyone can find one they prefer and they could still use it like it currently is. Often for things i see people having big discussions over like where it's changing the way a certain thing works or looks the solution would be very simple and to just make them customizable through other menus, you could maybe even go as far as linking something like changing the mode to a shortcut etc if you wanted to toggle them.

I agree this would give much nicer organization and could save a load of time if you use many textures etc +1 Vote

• 1 month later...