3DCoat Forums

Mac os. Resize window causes kernel panic

• Advanced Member

I tried to resize the 3dcoat window by dragging from the bottom right of the 3d coat window and everything apart from my mouse froze. Nothing was responding then after about a minute the old kernel panic overlay stating I have to restart my computer came up. This is the latest mac version.

Mike R

• Advanced Member

Snow leopard, 10.6.6, 4gb ram. 2.8ghz xtreme core 2 duo chip, ATI-Radeon HD2600.

Although no kernel panic this time it did freeze the entire machine up again and after 15 minutes of nothing happening I switched off the machine. I hate doing that.

In the past I have noticed that from time to time it would hang the machine but after a while come back or at least allow me to kill 3dcoat. This time it killed osX. So although i am not willing to give it a try again I do know that it has rarely allowed me to properly resize the window without glitching or freezing the machine.

Mike

• Advanced Member

Ummm. Any response on this issue? Is Andrew looking at it? What about the captcha problem in the bug reporter?

Currently we are having to leave 3d coat out of our pipeline and use the obvious alternatives which is no good as I was just starting to get into why i preferred 3dCoat for most of my work.

I always send any crash reports direct to apple although with this issue I have not had that option as when the os freezes the only option is to shut down the computer by pressing the power button.(Like the other poster, the mouse moves but nothing else works.)

Thanks

Mike R

Hello, Mykyl! I was not able to reproduce the issue on my iMac with Mac OS X 10.6.6 and ATI Radeon HD 4670, and on my Mac Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.2 and NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT. But I have couple of questions:

1. Is there any visible dialog of 3D-Coat when you resize the window, for example dialog with selection of tools to start, or dialog with settings for import, or dialog with 3D-Coat preferences etc.?

2. Does the freeze happen when you start dragging the corner of the window, or when you release the mouse button after resize?

• Advanced Member

It freezes when I release the mouse. I know it is about to happen as the interface does not update as I am dragging so the menu items on the right of my screen don't resize during the drag but go off-screen.

I am trying to add a screen shot of my layout as it stands at the moment.

Cheers

Mike R

post-1790-12961745288154_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

WHAT@!@!!@!@#!@#!@# :-)!!!!! :-)

did someone say 64bit OSX 3DCoat?????? AWESOME !!!!!!!

I'll be able to open the number of voxel sculpts I've saved in 32bit 3DC and cant repoen to work on(due to their filesize), great news!

Thank you Sergyi

edit: @Mykyl , are you using any helper apps, like xGestures, Quicksilver, etc? I just did some tricks to remedy an issue that xGestures was causing in 3DC(by having it trigger keystrokes from applescripts, instead of from within xGestures)

• Advanced Member

I can resize the window no problems with that. Take a fraction of a second to resize the contents of the window but other than that no crashes.

@ifxs - I dont run anything like that and have now gone as far as to stop using expose assigned to a screen corner.

Cheers

Mike R