3DCoat Forums

Nihon Tsunami

Javis

I just want to say that I hope everyone in Japan is alright. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I am sending my thoughts in the direction of Nihon and anyone affected by this natural disaster.

Anyone interested can donate to the redcross at redcross.org

Thank you very much for your concern.

My office is at the 11nth floor of a building in Tokyo.

I was experimenting with 3.5.14D new features at that time.

Firstly it was a gentle shake but gradually it increased and turned to be a big shake I have never experienced.

I couldn't even stand without holding a desk.

Scaly part was that it lasted much longer than usual.

I seriously thought I was going to die.

However, I think Tokyo is OK.

Because I got to my house by foot and that took me more than 2 hours and did not see any building or house corrupted nor debris scattered around the street.

The structure of the buildings are surprisingly intact in Tokyo area.

But I myself can not even imagine how big the damage is around the epicenter and along the coast.

And we must be careful for a month.

Because I am still feeling aftershocks constantly even now.

Again thank you very much for your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoxS2TWnZg

I totally agree with one comment on youtube:

Such an amazing country. Their buildings are insanely strong. In 1999 a 5.9 magnitude earthquake hit athens and we were running like headless chicken. The damage was insane here. And yet they get an 8.9 and worry about the shelves. You guys are very inspiring. Be strong like our buildings, you have our thoughts and prayers

• Advanced Member

I'm not either religious, but I'm also sending my thoughts and prayers to this direction.

I really understand what earthquake means. (living in greece). I know exactly how an 8 feels like (1981-corinthos), though the worst was the high speed vibration 5.9 for 8 sec (1999-athens). (it was close to surface and killed people) Buildings in greece are capable for earthquakes at 8 but this 5.9 was a killer.

So be stronger than your buildings, you never know. A gap of 40 miles now, on the near athens mountain demonstrates what earthquakes mean. Even at 5.9.

Waiting for our japan friends to tell us more about it.

• Advanced Member

Yes, that's terrible here.

It is the second day and there is still some earthquake from time to time (about 4 or five today).

The nuclear plant problem is also very worrying. Are we to trust the Japanese government and think that it is safe?

Thinking back of Tchernobyl that had influences at a very large scale (up to France!), I doubt that a 20 kilometers

safety zone is enough.

One of my friends is probably spending her second night at the top of a building in Sendai waiting for rescue.

Well, they say that such a big one occurs once every hundred years. I Hope that's true. Some people here have just

lost everything, relatives, house and job. It was so violent that the coasts shapes have changed.

Thank you for your kind words.

• Contributor

Chernobyl was a mess from an engineering standpoint and Japanese engineering enjoys a worldwide reputation for excellence. The plant near Sendai is relatively new and was built with local earthquake standards. :good:

• Contributor

Chernobyl was a mess from an engineering standpoint and Japanese engineering enjoys a worldwide reputation for excellence. The plant near Sendai is relatively new and was built with local earthquake standards. :good:

Well, the anti sismic structure was build to support a 7 force... They are now pumping ocean water to bring the heat down... Not good. I hope this goes quickly some people living there said it was going till 1am.

Just to bring some number to this catastrophic event, the earthquake was so violent that the Japan mainland has moved two meters and the earth axis deviated 15 cm...

• Advanced Member

Wow! They just changed it from 8.8 to 9.0 class.

The stores are almost empty here.

People made their stock quickly I guess.

No gasoline in gas-stand too.

Hospital lacks medecine stocks.

No water in many places.

Near coasts area it is such a mess with wrecks all over the streets

it is just impossible to imagine how much time it will take to fix it all (if possible).

We'll have to live in this for a while.

• Advanced Member

my heart goes out to Japan, It was truly shocking to see the devastation :(, I must admit though I'm rather impressed at how well they've withstood it.

Thanks for posting the link Geo, to my shame I hadnt thought of it myself.

I wish there was something more I could personally do, donations don't seem like enough to me anymore... Least now with the lack of shelter, blankets, food and water seems to be a huge issue.

The issue now too with the Fukushima plant leaking radiation, is a bit scary. I hope they are able to resolve that.

• 2 weeks later...