3DCoat Forums

Pose Tool - paint in greyscale like Sf.Freeze - not red

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

Sometimes my Pose tool paints in greyscale values, then other times , the default red.

I'm not sure why. Is there a way to select either or as required/ preferred?

Oftentimes working in the greyscale ( like in Sf.Freeze mode ) is far less distracting when modeling/ adjusting forms than the red

Many thanks

Really it's just that the rainbow one was the original color, then some people didn't like it so when new shaders were released Andrew tried making a grey one. If you look in the folder with all of the Shaders you'll see each shader has a file called CustomSampler3.dds that's a small image file of the color it will be. I suppose you could just copy that file from a shader you like and replace a rainbow one if you want. You can load these files in Photoshop but you need the DDS plugin from nVidia, found here:

http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

That plugin also makes normal maps in Photoshop :)

I think the logic is that the shaders are the only way to color voxel objects.

Many thanks indeed. you are absolutely correct - different behavior for different shaders.

Wondering what the logic is to link pose tool behavior to shaders rather than an option of the pose tool itself? :blink:

Part of the reason behind it is because using that rainbow on some shaders were very difficult to see, but was great for some. Same with the greyscale, hard to see on some, easy on others. So the decision was made to use both depending on the shader.