3DCoat Forums

How to position a materials pattern precisely

kirkl

• Advanced Member

I love 3dc ability to paint color, depth and specular simultaneously and prefer it very much over Zbrush spotlight but still can't figure out how can I place a pattern (material) over a model precisely with a required scale and size. Most confusing things are:

1.I have no transform center.

2.I can't stretch a material image precisely onto a necessary given side of my model because it is stretching in both directions simultaneously (stretching in one direction and squeezing in another) so it's always a hit and miss.

Is it possible to stretch in only one direction somehow? Like in Zbrush?

• Reputable Contributor

I love 3dc ability to paint color, depth and specular simultaneously and prefer it very much over Zbrush spotlight but still can't figure out how can I place a pattern (material) over a model precisely with a required scale and size. Most confusing things are:

1.I have no transform center.

2.I can't stretch a material image precisely onto a necessary given side of my model because it is stretching in both directions simultaneously (stretching in one direction and squeezing in another) so it's always a hit and miss.

Is it possible to stretch in only one direction somehow? Like in Zbrush?

In the Materials pallet, when you click on one, there will be a thin horizonal popup at the top of your viewport. It has all the options to make those adjustments. Check the manual for a more detailed description. I think you can type in the search field for MATERIALS and it should take you right there.

Also, you can find some inexpensive dvd's that cover texture painting in 3DC, in the tutorial section of the forums.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8944&pid=69495&st=0entry69495

• Advanced Member

In the Materials pallet, when you click on one, there will be a thin horizonal popup at the top of your viewport. It has all the options to make those adjustments. Check the manual for a more detailed description. I think you can type in the search field for MATERIALS and it should take you right there.

Also, you can find some inexpensive dvd's that cover texture painting in 3DC, in the tutorial section of the forums.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8944&pid=69495&st=0entry69495

I am using that horizontal panel and still don't see any option to stretch material in only one necessary direction. If I need to stretch horizontally it also squeezes vertically. I didn't find anything regarding this in the manual. If you know an answer, tell me how can I stretch a material in only one direction please.

• Advanced Member

stretchmaterial.jpg

You can use this button by holding down right mouse button and dragging either up or down or across.

I use that exactly button. Although on my side it works with left button only. If I try to use right button it just shift the whole material without any transformation the same way it does in any other empty part of screen.

And if I need to stretch the material in horizontal direction it also at the same time squeezes it vertically. Stretching from one side of screen to another ( zbrush way) would be nice indeed but right now I would like to figure out how I could transform material within only one axis.

Could you explain your right button technic a bit more please.

• Advanced Member

Oops! When I say right button, I meant the other right button, as in the left button. My apologies :pardon:

I see now what you are are asking, but unfortunately I can not help you. As far as I know this is extent of how materials are manipulated. I can see it would be handy to keep the height or width constant while elongating the other axis. Maybe if we are lucky, someday this may be included.

• 6 months later...