3DCoat Forums

Feature request - patch texturing

Mix Mash

Hi,

I haven't been using 3d coat for more than retopologising but, recently, I've found the paint tools quite powerful for my recent needs especially the use of splines. This is mainly because I model more than I texture.

Anyway, I don't know if this or something like this has been implemented but I would like to see a feature where you can create a four sided patch made from splines could be created on your model which would allow you to place an image on your model. The splines would allow you to deform the image and you would be able to have multiple patches so you can repeat an image.

If this has been already implemented then I'd like to know.

If not, I would appreciate if something like this would be considered for implementation.

Anyway, thanks for your time everyone.

Cheers,

Paul

(Mix Mash)

You can use layers (for non destructive work) and masks, while a mask is selected you can deform it before applying it as paint on the model, and masks are automaticaly tiled, it's your choice to apply them one time or more.

It's not the same thing. Each 'patch' would be deformable like the warp tool on photoshop allowing greater control of what goes where.

• Reputable Contributor

You can use the transform / copy tool in the paint room to get a large degree of what you are asking...

Copy an image to the clip board outside of 3DCoat and once the tool is selected press Crtrl-V.

The image is spline based so warping, rotating, scaling etc are available.

Once an image is place you can use the e-panel tools to cut out sections and erase the one you just place if you want. So on the fly editiing is possible without be struck with just rectangle images. You can feather the edges too. by adjusting the border width in the e-panel

A feature request would be for it to support a transparent channel through a png file for the images like mask have.

You can save your imported images as PSD files.

Test in out, figure out all the things you can do with it and then put in some feature request...

The picture is from per-pixel painting. Polypainting will be less sharp depending upon mesh...

To rotate, just have your curser outside the image area but over the model and press and hold down the left mouse button.

There are a number of control handle circles around the image like photoshop.

The copy/transform tool is right under the stamping tool

Once an image has been place you can use the copy tool also on the images.

Having tool tips open at the bottom of your interface helps very much on knowing how to operated the features.

post-518-0-94467000-1327296949_thumb.jpg

You can use the transform / copy tool in the paint room to get a large degree of what you are asking...

Copy an image to the clip board outside of 3DCoat and once the tool is selected press Crtrl-V.

The image is spline based so warping, rotating, scaling etc are available.

Once an image is place you can use the e-panel tools to cut out sections and erase the one you just place if you want. So on the fly editiing is possible without be struck with just rectangle images. You can feather the edges too. by adjusting the border width in the e-panel

A feature request would be for it to support a transparent channel through a png file for the images like mask have.

You can save your imported images as PSD files.

Test in out, figure out all the things you can do with it and then put in some feature request...

The picture is from per-pixel painting. Polypainting will be less sharp depending upon mesh...

To rotate, just have your curser outside the image area but over the model and press and hold down the left mouse button.

There are a number of control handle circles around the image like photoshop.

The copy/transform tool is right under the stamping tool

Once an image has been place you can use the copy tool also on the images.

Having tool tips open at the bottom of your interface helps very much on knowing how to operated the features.

I tried this out and, no, this is nothing like my request. My request referred to using a topology-based spline patch creation tool which allows you to use multiple quad patches to transfer textures with more control.

Thank for the info, though.

Cheers,

Paul

• Reputable Contributor

I tried this out and, no, this is nothing like my request. My request referred to using a topology-based spline patch creation tool which allows you to use multiple quad patches to transfer textures with more control.

Thank for the info, though.

Cheers,

Paul

That's kind of how it goes with rather complex requests, without some type of visual aid/screen grab, to make it easier to understand. Sometimes when I make requests to Andrew, I try to demonstrate what I'm talking about either by showing how it works in another application (video screen capture), or using a screen grab and editing it in Photoshop. Plus, there is a feature request thread in this forum, and you could also use Mantis.

• 10 months later...

Hi

Im using transform / copy tool but need to warp the image pasted, over a curved surface.

I need to place a tattoo over an arm following the curved mesh

copy/paste let scale and deform.... but cant find how to warp

ty