3DCoat Forums

How to sculpt a knife edge with voxels

dhpdigital

Hi. I wanted to ask if anybody has a good tip how to sculpt a hard knife edge with voxels. I have a shape which is like a blade, but needs the edges tapering in like a sword, or a large knife. I'm looking to make some kind of selection which can then but manipulated to thin an edge, but I can't make it work just yet. Any help much appreciated.

D.

I would model the whole weapon as an even extrusion, using the "E" panel tools (spline outline with a filled thickness) - thickness is determined by brush size. Then, turn on "Orthographic" from the "View menu, rotate the view so that the angle of the sharp edge is perpendicular to the view, and use the voxel "Cutoff" tool with one of the "E" panel tools to make the angular cut.

It will be a "trial and error" experiment, I'm afraid.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Grow tool with lasso/circle/square/spline e-mode selected and make sure and use the sharp boarder method. Play around with the size of your brush for different effects. one you're happy with a shape turn the angle so you looking at the side of the blade and cut off the excess width on top/bottom.