3DCoat Forums

What upgrade path would you recommend?

Computer hardware / software upgrade.(geared toward Lightwave/Modo users)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose an upgrade path that you would recommend.

• Upgrade hardware to 2x faster cpu, more ram + better graphx card
    • Upgrade to LW 11 from 9.6 + better graphx card
    • Crossgrade to Modo (when deal is available) + better graphx card

• Advanced Member

Although the poll is geared toward Lightwave and Modo users, I would appreciate opinions from anyone.

I have a set budget that I could either:

Buy a new computer that is approximately 2x faster (or at least a good bit faster from what I have read)

• Q6700 to an i5 2500k
  • 6Gb to 16Gb of ram.
  • GeForce 250 GTS 1Gb to a GeForce 560 Ti 2Gb (128 cuda cores to 384)

Or Upgrade from LW 9.6 to LW 11 (or Modo when crossgrade option is available) and a GeForce 560 Ti 2Gb

Also, I have 2 other comparable computers I can use as render nodes.

• Advanced Member

Seems like you' ve got enough CPU power:

Also, I have 2 other comparable computers I can use as render nodes.

All of these options sound good.. personally I wouldnt upgrade the CPU, it should still be good for now.

I would recommend upgrading software + GTX 560 Ti (+ RAM if possible)

Upgrading RAM + Geforce GTX 560 Ti will increase lots of performance.

Funny thing is I upgraded to 16GB + GTX560 Ti last week.. will get my new desktop somewhere this week.. :)

I've got some spare 2x4GB 1066mhz modules btw.. Im giving them away for free so if you would like to have em you can contact me.

• Advanced Member

Is there a fourth option? Hehe.

Given those three I would upgrade hardware. The new ivy cpu are 15% faster and 30% more power efficient than the 2500k counterpart.

6gb of ram is not so much nowadays so the more memory the better. The new card will also boost performance with 3dcoat I'm sure because your current card is similar to an old 8800gts performance.

Option 2 for upgrading lw 11. Linearworkflow and the new renderengine are the big features. Bullet, flocking are still wips. Do you really need these new features?

Option 3 I'm still waiting for modo to have full animation,vfx capability before jumping ship. Right now lw plus 3dcoat is more versatile than modo for general purposes.

Personally I went with option 3 for myself, not that long ago. I upgraded my video card, RAM and bought modo. So far since, I have only opened LW a few times to render some voxels. But now modo has something similar, I wont be doing that either. Modo pretty much as me covered with nearly everything I did in LW. 3DC has me covered in painting/sculpting. The other good part is, if you do need LW for something, you'll probably still have 9.6. :)

• Advanced Member

@johnnycore

I'm kinda leaning toward this option, squeeze some more speed out of my computer until I can upgrade the CPU at a later time.

Thanks for the offer of the modules, I'm just wondering what the shipping would be from the Netherlands to the USA.

@geo_n

I wish I could add a 4th option of "You wake up one morning and find your bank account has multiplied and you decide to buy all three options" :D

The main features I'm looking for are a preview renderer and instancing, which both Lightwave and Modo have. I use LW10 at work and I find VPR quite useful.

Yes, more ram is a must.

@geothefaust

Unfortunately I was not ready to jump on the Modo wagon while they were having their crossgrade offer. And currently they have no plans on doing that again.

I'll be keeping my eye on them in case another opportunity arises.

@DavidF

blender is one reason that I want to get the new graphics card, cycles is nice. I've been using blender more and more lately.

Thanks guys for your wisdom, and those that voted also!

• Advanced Member

@3DArtist

It should cost me 17,10 euros to ship to Amerika, just looked it up..

These are 2x4GB DDR3 1333mhz btw instead of 1066mhz got mistaken with the module type.