3DCoat Forums

[Solved] couldn't bake normal map

Hi there,

I'm trying to bake my sculpt model to low poly mesh by "Bake w/ Normal Map (Per-Pixel)" but baked maps has strong noises on any Materials.

this is sculpt mesh. (sorry for poor mesh, this is my best.)

df_cathedral_12.JPG

and this is baked mesh on Paint room. diffuse and normal map have strong noise.. (it should say dithering?)

df_cathedral_13.JPG

what happen on my 3d-coat?

I'm using ver4.7.26(GL)

Alienware 17 R2 w/windows8.1 64bit

thanks,

look like resolution was not affect to noise. (but size is change)

and UV also not affect. (I tried copy and paste as maximum scale to new UV a piece of mesh)

Bake normals with dithering, I tried both, but seems like no effects on my mesh.

I tried export voxels and retopo meshes to new scene, but it happened again.

totally no idea. :(

• Advanced Member

I had this problem also.  

To fix it you will have to adjust the normal intensity on your pbr sculpt shader.  For some reason the bake results are really strong compared to what you expect.

I think it has something to do with the way the shader resolution is tied to the density of of the sculpt layer.  

Anyways, if you turn down the bumpiness on your shader it should give you better results.  You can also try adjusting the texture scale to see if that helps.  Reducing 'bumpiness' value prior to baking should do the trick though.

• Advanced Member

Sorry, to be more clear...you'll have to right click on the pbr shader you're using for the sculpt object and adjust the bumpiness setting on the shader...you don't need to change your sculpt resolution.  bumpiness.gif

Edited by gbball

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

seems like this problem has solved by voxels scaleing up size to 1000%.

it means my sculpt voxels was too small. not 3d-Coat's problem. (ya, me also could sculpting and baking before.)

thanks gbball and Carlosan!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Glad to hear it worked out.  Scaling up the model should have the same effect as reducing the objects density, or adjusting the settings in the scale/bumpiness in the shader since it seems like the shader info is tied to the object density per layer.  I notice it because I change density on my sculpts a lot and it causes problems when I bake with certain shaders.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm having this issue baking to the paint room too. My shader in the sculpt room isn't even using normal/bumpiness. So I don't know what gives...

Edit: Trying with Bake update to Paint Layers, seems to work better, Bake w/ Normal Map has same problem ie. noisy normals.

Edited by Hammers