3DCoat Forums

3d-Coat export to DAZ scale ?

lotusindigo

Hello again,

I've resigned myself to using Daz Studio for rigging and posing. I still intend on buying 3d-Coat when my trial expires for retopo and morphing (and whatever else it will come in handy for).

I'm having trouble figuring out how to scale my model during export. I export my OBJ from Daz Studio, sculpt it in 3d-Coat, and it loads successfully in DS... except that it shrinks my model. When I zoom in, I can see that my morph has the correct shape... but it's tiny. How do I solve this?

TIA.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm having export problems too and would like to know the solution.

I have a Genesis figure which I imported to sculpt clothes for, but when I export the retopo mesh instead of being the same scale as the Genesis figure and positioned in the right place, the mesh is positioned on the floor and is tiny.

I'm looking for a the menu to set export scale to 1unit=1cm which is the scale Daz uses but can't find it. I'm also unsure how to set the export position to where it is and not onto the floor.

post-38257-0-71661900-1392410588_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Okay I thought I figured the scale thing out.

If when I import my initial Genesis figure I select Autoscale it then exports whatever I make at Daz 1unit=1cm scale.

But if I try to import a another mesh from Daz to 3D Coat and hit autoscale it no longer autoscales to 1unit=1cm and I get something like this happening.

I can't wrap my head around why such a basic (and neccessary) function of setting import and export scale (I have never once seen a 3D program that doesn't have the ability to set the import and export scale) would be missing in 3D Coat. Does this function not exist or is it burried someone I'm simply not thinking to look for it?

post-38257-0-63340900-1392582524_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Okee dokee I've got scale working properly with Daz objects.

Before you start a scene set the Define Measure Units in the Voxel menu to:

Units = Centimetres (cm)

Voxels per unit = 1

Unit Scale = 1

Then when you import the first Daz object hit Autoscale in the tool options window. and this will resize the object to proper dimensions.

After that every Daz object you import should be in the proper scale as well as export in the proper scale and position.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Okay this is really weird. If I start a scene, set the scale, import and autoscale my first import every other import and export is to scale.

If I then save that scene, then load it again later and go to import a Daz scaled mesh the imported mesh isn't to scale even though the scale measurement is the same. Hitting autoscale just makes it even bigger.

• Advanced Member

It still doesn't work. If I don't save a scene and exit my scale is preserved. As soon as I save, exit and reload the scale goes all wonky. The units stay as centimetres and I change the SceneScale back to 1 (the shifts were maintained at 0).

When I try to import another Daz scaled mesh the object is too small. When I hit Autoscale the object becomes too big. If I hit autoscale a second time the object shrinks very slightly.

post-38257-0-88401800-1392751708_thumb.j