3DCoat Forums

Shaping a Mixamo zombie

ajz3d

• Contributor

Thanks for linking up the video. Nice solution.

Anyway, everything's set up for baking. UV's of individual objects are done, UV sets are set-up and all.

There's another problem though, but let me just produce some facts first.

I've grouped UVs of my objects into material oriented groups: metal objects with metal ones, skin with skin, clothes with clothes, etc.

Now, let's take this guy's head for example. Its UV set consists of two separate poly objects (on two separate retopo layers).

• the whole head (hair included; two voxel layers: one for head, one for hair)
  • tongue (one retopo layer)

Hairy head and tongue are two independent objects. I want to bake them separately because I don't want the head to affect the tongue and the other way around, but I still want them to reside on the same UV set (I guess it's called "Material" list in the Paint Room).

To bake them I first unhide an appropriate voxel layer and the retopo layer, bake them, hide them. Then I proceed to next object and repeat the steps.

The problem is though, that when I bake them this way, one by one, I get two "Objects" and two "Materials" instead of two objects on one material.

Things get even more messy, because it looks like local occlusion isn't baked for the object that has been baked as second in the sequence. Also, if I export the model, textures of the first object won't export at all. Instead, they look like being overwritten by textures of the second object. That's crazy.

Also, I think the UV set name in the "Import object for pixel painting" window is completely ignored (broken?). Whatever I write there, I always end up with retopoLayerName_uvSetName (eg. tongue_headSkin_uvset), even If "abc" was what I have typed there.

• Contributor

Okay, a small update. I'm finished with the head for now. Though there are still several problem areas here and there that need correction, I'm going to take a break from it in favour of texturing the top hat. I'll return to the head a little bit later in the texturing process, after I take a short breather.

The shadow areas on hair and on the left side of the neck are the ambient occlusion layer. Basically that's where the top hat and zombie's coat are, so those regions will be hidden by geometry. Does 3D Coat take baked normal map into consideration when calculating occlusion? If yes, I'll have to recalculate it when I'm finished, because of tons of new NM info I've added so far.

Here's how the head looks now:

zombieheadupdate.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yes, well, what to detail in a zombie if not fresh meat? :bad:^_^

Anyway, I had some other projects going on as well as I've been focusing over several days on learning Nvil (as I intend to completely switch to it from Silo), so I've been neglecting the zombie lately.

But no more.

I've noticed that the "Place image along a spline" has some problems when using a close curve option (see below). Also, it looks like it ignores the depth map texture I provide?

post-12523-0-17537100-1360859983_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Head topology, NM bake test: two subdivision levels and auto UVs. A few tweaks remaining to do to right ear (retopo mesh not snapped to surface), hat ribbon and back hair LC (not shown).

headretopomesh.jpg

Very nice work. What is the poly modeling program you're doing this with and what are you using for these renders?

• Contributor

Thanks.

Everything here, except of the generic human base model from the beginning of the thread, was done in 3D Coat. I did however use Silo for some tweaking, mainly error correction. The renderer is also 3D Coat's.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Some test renders from GPU based Marmoset Toolbag I've been playing with today (thanks Garagarape for mentioning this program in your thread :)) Pretty nice little application with many, many IBL presets (all three backgrounds from the attached images come with the program and there are like 17 more). Though I'm not sure how to render a scene with an alpha channel.

Anyway, the textures are almost ready, with only dirt and blood left to do. Zombie shouldn't haunt the streets in a clean shirt. :acute:

post-12523-0-18155900-1362874313_thumb.j

post-12523-0-90832600-1362874316_thumb.j

post-12523-0-87523700-1362874320_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Oh wow! Your final version of the character is ace!

I like the silhouette and its originality in the elements you chose (pumpkin and roots).

I like the shot from behind where you can see the whole character.

It is a bit sunny for a zombi to walk around though :)

• Contributor

Wow, thank you guys for your kind words.

Yes, I've noticed that tree too. The whole background actually. It's blurry, because I overtweaked bokeh size and depth of field. I don't think I'll be fixing it though, because those renders were just tests I made during my explorations of Marmoset. Also, the textures of the model are still WIP and are way too big for a GPU renderer to handle. Not on my 3GB VRAM card anyway - I had to reduce their size to 50% before importing them into Marmoset. In their original resolution they ate up all of my card's memory and literally froze the entire program as well as most of the OS.

I'll be raytracing the zombie, most likely in MR.

It is a bit sunny for a zombi to walk around though :)

Zombies don't sleep! Especially pumpkin zombies. :rofl:

But yeah, a foggy night with a sharp moonlight is what I imagine would fit.