3DCoat Forums

Consolidated Library

alvordr

• Advanced Member

As I see more and more people providing information and assets for the forums, I see the same trend that happened in the Cheetah 3D forums a while back. People started to realize that trying to find all the assets they were looking for were scattered across forums and threads and it all began to become unwieldy. I suggest there be, if nothing else, a link to a consolidated library from within the program, with some sort of search function. No conversations, etc...just assets in their respective categories.

Just a thought...

• Advanced Member

Yes, I saw that, but there is more to be found in these forums, than in that one place. However, that link is important and serves the right intent. At risk of this sounding lazy, some people don't know it's there, until someone tells them or they happen upon it. I found it when I bought 3DC, but I've seen comments on here from people who never knew. If it were linked from within 3DC, just as the community forums are, that might help.

• Advanced Member

Do you mean like Unity's Asset Store? Something integrated into the 3D Coat app?

That would be great. But before that happens, I really think we need some slightly better management of content and assets within the app first, before we worry about bringing new assets into our local box. Not that what you say isn't vital. But I'm finding Brush & Material management cumbersome, and would like a proper interface to manage:

• what content is default in 3D Coat,
  • what have content have I added for all projects
  • and what temporary content have I added for this one off project that I don't want persisted, except in this file.

Also, better thumbnails, and/or description popups for materials and brushes etc. So that if I have a texture in there I can have comments or tags that make it obvious which is what. at 32x32 pixels or whatever, I sure can't tell what the difference between 2 different concrete textures will be in my panel on the right. So popup comments (which are editable if I need to) which I can add when I add the content or later on, might help me remember what brush is for what.

All that being said, it would be nice not to have to spend hours scouring for things, and such a consolidated app store (even for free stuff) would be welcome as the definitive way to find addon content for 3D Coat.

• Advanced Member

One thing that might help you with distinguishing brushes/masks, etc. from one another is to click on the little drop down arrow in the top right corner of that tab block and choose a Thumbnail size. You can even add folders to organize your stuff better.