3DCoat Forums

Opacity of retopo mesh?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to adjust the opacity of the Reotpo mesh you are working on? So, for example, in this case I could make the mesh like 40% transparent so I could see the polys I am creating better? I know I can hide it all together by clicking on the eye in the Objects popup, but can I adjust its opacity? or is this a feature request?

AJosSFe.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks :) that's cool, but that adjusts the opacity of retopo'ed polys that I'm creating, not the opacity of the subobject I am retopoing. Or am I not understanding you correctly? In my picture above I want to adjust the opacity of the white object.

• Reputable Contributor

Ah, I see, I hope I read it right this time... That would be a feature request and I'm not sure if it has been requested before... The only thing now is to increase the z bias of the polygon retopo mesh so it covers more of the white reference or voxel model... You can type in number larger than 10...

Then reduce the opacity of the polygon retopo mesh if necessary to help follow the model's topology better...

Left side of image--- default 3.00

Right side of image---25.00

Hope this helps a little.

post-518-0-86601900-1358879997_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't tend to use voxel modeling much yet, I've primarly been modeling externally and only been painting, UVing and retopoing in 3DC. Is my imported mesh for retopo turned into voxels? I'll have to check that out...

• Advanced Member

Ah, I see, I hope I read it right this time... That would be a feature request and I'm not sure if it has been requested before... The only thing now is to increase the z bias of the polygon retopo mesh so it covers more of the white reference or voxel model... You can type in number larger than 10...

Then reduce the opacity of the polygon retopo mesh if necessary to help follow the model's topology better...

Left side of image--- default 3.00

Right side of image---25.00

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks

But what does the Zbias do? Does it mean that it adds a buffer to the surface normals of the original imported mesh so that newly created points snap farther from the surface in the direction of the normals? If so, z-bias is not what I want, because I want my points to be as close to the original surface as possible, not floating some mm above the surface in the direction of the normal vector. If this is a feature request then, I will add it to the list. Sometimes I like to retopo from odd angles and the area I am working on gets occluded by other limbs or parts of the mesh I am not interested in and opacity would help there as well. Also, I like to rough out big shapes for poly flow and split/subdivide later as I progress - this means initially the centers of the long polys get hidden inside the mesh and sometimes you want to reach in there to select an edge or split something and you cant see it very well. That's why I want the opacity... :)

• Reputable Contributor

As far I understand the Z-bias only effects the visual appearence of the mesh according to the tool tip pop up. I do not think it effects anything else but I would have to ask Andrew to find out the that fact for sure.

When you have time put in a feature request at Mantis and I will +1 the report. A very usefull feature to have indeed...