3DCoat Forums

Could we have voxel sculpting made interactive with LEAP?

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

For sculpting, don't think Leap would be of much use here, as it provides no pressure detection.

There are ways around that; it detects the separate motions of 10 fingers..you can vary pressure and brush size with finger motions of your left hand while your right hand sculpts.

• Advanced Member

sshhhh! This is hush hush! ;)

Don't tell anyone, but I am already currently developing a prototype of this with Andrew's assistance and oversight (my company just got our Leap Motion developer device yesterday). We will let you know when/if there is something good to show. Don't clamor too hard - the device is not publicly available yet (Leap is still working the kinks out of it with developers like us, there are connections issues, driver issues in general still going on with it), but I can tell you 3D Coat interoperability is a possibility and likely is in the cards... :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

sshhhh! This is hush hush! ;)

Don't tell anyone, but I am already currently developing a prototype of this with Andrew's assistance and oversight (my company just got our Leap Motion developer device yesterday). We will let you know when/if there is something good to show. Don't clamor too hard - the device is not publicly available yet (Leap is still working the kinks out of it with developers like us, there are connections issues, driver issues in general still going on with it), but I can tell you 3D Coat interoperability is a possibility and likely is in the cards... :)

Well that is very good news. I'm probably going to drop my $69.00 on a prerelease copy in the next couple of days. I really like the idea of sculpting and painting with my right hand and modulating all sorts of brush controls with my left hands. It's well worth everyone's while to read their forums and some of the ideas bouncing around there for elaborations on the device so you can draw on your desktop and even get a kind of pressure sensitivity. A pressure sensitive pen accessory may be in the works to go with the motion detector.

• Advanced Member

Blender/Python/Leap interaction at 3:45 mark

Not to be a downer, but this guy is a beginner just fooling around and there is a big step from hooking things up to getting them usable for real.

We've actually got a revision later than what is used in this video, and there are still h/w issues. Also, there are driver issues and big algorithm issues around particular fingers getting lost in tracking from particular angles. Don't expect minority report live clay sculpting initially, this device is still in its infancy. But expecting a cheaper version of the SpacePilot Pro is a more likely first step. That all being said, we're working on it :) (in between real produciton work we have to do).

• Advanced Member

Not to be a downer, but this guy is a beginner just fooling around and there is a big step from hooking things up to getting them usable for real.

We've actually got a revision later than what is used in this video, and there are still h/w issues. Also, there are driver issues and big algorithm issues around particular fingers getting lost in tracking from particular angles. Don't expect minority report live clay sculpting initially, this device is still in its infancy. But expecting a cheaper version of the SpacePilot Pro is a more likely first step. That all being said, we're working on it :) (in between real produciton work we have to do).

Track IR has a three LED prong that clips onto headsets that's highly effective. I wonder if LEDs or some kind of marker on the fingertips of gloves, with each marker being specifically identifiable by it's color wavelength or some symbol or something like that which would be recognizable by the software would be in order?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

just a quick status update, I have not abandoned development on this - however, I have been having some reliability & performance issues with my developer Leap hardware device despite firmware updates, and they are sending me a new one soon. The final hardware is not released until May 16 or something. So hopefully I get the new hardware well before then in order to finish development.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

just a quick status update, I have not abandoned development on this - however, I have been having some reliability & performance issues with my developer Leap hardware device despite firmware updates, and they are sending me a new one soon. The final hardware is not released until May 16 or something. So hopefully I get the new hardware well before then in order to finish development.

Good news photonvfx. I'm looking forward to my Leap and I'm looking forward to your 3d Coat plug in for it.

Can you give us any idea about the functionality of your app? Will we be able to use it with the Move tool to grab stuff and pull it around in xyz space? Can we use Build and twirl voxels around like soft ice cream?

• 3 months later...