3DCoat Forums

Speed of work vs ZB & MB

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member
All that features like SSAO, DOF, HDR are not complex things to do... Just need a decission where to put time (1-2 weeks) - in visual appearance in viewport or to edit capabilities.

All these things are nice and all, but they are not fundamentals, nor blocking in a pipeline. I would rather have 3d coat 64bits first. Work on the foundations first, then add the sweeteners.

Franck.

• Advanced Member
Voxel modeling will get a very first demo soon :) At least in alpha stage.

Our cars take fuel 3x-5x less then other ones :P

Cool! for 3D-Coat 3.0 please make a 64-bit version. I'll build a new computer next month and it'll run Vista 64-bit.

Cool! for 3D-Coat 3.0 please make a 64-bit version. I'll build a new computer next month and it'll run Vista 64-bit.

NVidia video is VERY preferred. CUDA can speed up edit process 10 X. Now I have made software (no CUDA), but anyway CUDA support will be also implemented.

64 bit is one of most important goals for me. Bu at first Mac should be finally done :)

• Advanced Member
NVidia video is VERY preferred. CUDA can speed up edit process 10 X. Now I have made software (no CUDA), but anyway CUDA support will be also implemented.

64 bit is one of most important goals for me. Bu at first Mac should be finally done :)

thanks for the headup, yes i'll buying a Nvidia GTX 260(55 nm shrink) :lol: CUDA + 64-bit support will be AWESOME!!! lol i can work on huge data sets!(8GB of ram on new system)

Yes Mac version is important!, i hear ZB 3.5 will be release for Mac also, they'll give more information after Siggraph..but i don't trust the ZBrush developers as far as release dates.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this while sculpting today. I think one thing that Mudbox has going for it is that you use the same tools no matter what resolution your sculpting at. In 3DC you use some tools for high-res and some for low res. For example I might be in sculpt mode and want to flatten an area out. well I don't have access to the flatten (Planar) tool. or if I'm in regular paint mode and I want to pinch an area to make a sharp edge I can't without switching to low res mode.

Maybe I just don't get it or something. I wanted to sculpt this Armitage figure that I have on my desk and I really wanted to do the whole thing in 3DC so I could show it to all the nay-sayers and prove them wrong. However I've been working all day just trying to get the basic shape of the shoe. Even after I imported a base mesh that was fairly close. One problem I have is that the smooth tool makes things smooth under the brush, but then seems to leave lines on either side of the brush so that I'm endlessly trying to make an area smooth. One way of making this better is to use a larger brush size but a larger brush size really makes the program slow down and the brush skips along instead of moving smoothly. This seems to happen with a lot of tools, and I don't exactly have a low (or even medium) end computer either.

Another problem I think, especially for new users is that there are too many resolutions to worry about. Carcass Resolution, SubPatch level, texture resolution, Mesh resolution... With Mudbox you have up and you have down.

OK maybe Set Plane should be renamed to something like "Flatten" or at least "Make Planar". I thought that did something entirely different from the name. This actually showed me a new bug. When picking Shift Layer in Tangent Space the whole screen goes white whenever the mouse curser goes over the model. That's in 2.10 RC-2 (GL)

http://screencast.com/t/Ike6l61k

OK maybe Set Plane should be renamed to something like "Flatten" or at least "Make Planar". I thought that did something entirely different from the name. This actually showed me a new bug. When picking Shift Layer in Tangent Space the whole screen goes white whenever the mouse curser goes over the model. That's in 2.10 RC-2 (GL)

http://screencast.com/t/Ike6l61k

It seems by some occasion pen radius is very big in this mode. Decrease pen radius.