3DCoat Forums

How to blend Spec layers in Paint Room?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

Suppose I import an externally painted spec map into a Spec Map layer in the Paint room. You know how the depth layers let me adjust the intensity of the depth by changing the layer's depth percentage % ? Well how do you non-destructively adjust the spec layer's percentage in the same manner? Opacity seems to have no effect on imported layers with only spec.

thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

In the blending tab next to the layers tab is "Specularity Modulator: that will the reduce the amount of specular per layer.

One thing to remember for now is that spec is additive. That is if you have spec at say 50% on one layer and you paint 50%spec over the same area on another layer then the total will be 100%

If your spec maps do not overlay each other on the same areas then it is no problem.

You can control the amount of additive spec by freezing color. Specular respects 3DC's mask. That I would say is more of a workaround and would not be an answer in all situations.

Looks like feature request time or a +1 if a request as been asked already.

Feature Request would be:

The ability to turn off the additive mode of the spec per layer. Also move the specularity modulator to be placed under depth and opacity so it is very easy to see. This coupled with the ability to turn off spec additive mode would indeed be great. :D

• Advanced Member

Thank you - I will try that. At present, my spec layers do not overlap, however, a way to suppress it if they did would be nice (the same way I can reduce depth overlapping with the depth %age in the layers)...

• Advanced Member

So this works it seems, however I find it awkward to have to go to the Blending tab and find the field and make sure I'm on the right layer before setting the value (which is 0 - 1 as opposed to 0% to 100%).

If there is a way this spec control can be in a box usable in the Layers list like the Opacity% and Depth % then that would be great. I may ask this as a feature request...