3DCoat Forums

Help Normal Baking

Hi all

First time i post on the forum, but here i have a big problem.

step 1 : model imported from scan, voxelisation : ok

step 2 : retopo, uv mapping, and scene merged with micro vertex : ok

step 3 : paint room, low poly with normal and ambient occlusion : ok

step 4 : export lowpoly model and normal map : it seems to be ok

step 5 : import the loxpoly and normal map into 3ds max : KO big seams on the model and ugly render.

I have to render my models for tomorrow and I doin't know what i am doing wrong.

Could please help me. Thanks

post-31063-0-84134300-1364231335_thumb.j

post-31063-0-75641600-1364231340_thumb.j

post-31063-0-16405200-1364231344_thumb.j

post-31063-0-90239500-1364231346_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

1) Figure out you in/out scan depth (retopo room)

2) Retopo > Merge with NM (per-pixel) in the retopo room and use numbers from step 1

3) Export using Textures > Export > Normal Map (TS, Low-poly Mesh) in the paint room

That method works well for me using Vray in Max. When the "Import object for per pixel painting" dialog appears during step 2, I have all options unchecked except for "Don't snap subdivision verticies to the surface" and the first three options are "No subdivision", "Keep UV", and "No smoothing" in that order.

• Advanced Member

I also have the same problem and am looking for a solution. Here a screen shot from an model that I made just to show the problem. I followed the steps exactly as Zeddicus described. This was done in 3.7 as 4.13A makes a total mess of the normal maps somehow. Using the normal maps exported with the technique "merge into scene (microverts)" gives me the same result in 3ds Max.

post-25510-0-86365600-1364378699_thumb.j

• Advanced Member
Can you send me the file from PM? I can try and see if I'm able to spot the culprit.

I think the psychedelics where my fault. I had changed the TNB settings to "Dont Normalize" in hope to get rid of the seams. So at least I now know how to get psychedelic on demand ;)

• Advanced Member

Do you like to give a try to 3dcoat to 3dmax applink ?

http://3d-coat.com/f...?showtopic=6692

I did try the AppLink but it didn´t work. At least not in the the version after 3ds Max 2013 (MAXScript MacroScript Error Exeption -- Unknown property_"isOpen" in undefined). As 3ds Max 2014 will be released quite soon I hope the script will be updated to very fast.

Apart from that is my momentary workflow in this project that I import a colored mesh from Zbrush as surface, Export that as an reduced obj to resurface it in 3ds Max. (Sorry about that. Even if I love the retopo functions in 3dc, the retopo and adjusting of existing retopo to another figurine is easier and more controllable in max.) I then export the retopo from max and import it into retopo room of 3dc. Since I exported the reduced mesh from 3dc I have a perfect fit. There I do the unwrap (great feature) and bake the diffuse, AO, normals and displacement to then export the result into 3ds Max just to weep bitterly about the horrible seams. This workflow seems different from what I saw what the AppLink would offer me.

So far I can still hold the client back but more sooner than later I need a solution on that.

• Advanced Member

I also have the same problem and am looking for a solution. Here a screen shot from an model that I made just to show the problem. I followed the steps exactly as Zeddicus described. This was done in 3.7 as 4.13A makes a total mess of the normal maps somehow. Using the normal maps exported with the technique "merge into scene (microverts)" gives me the same result in 3ds Max.

post-25510-0-86365600-1364378699_thumb.j

Your normal map shows the use of padding. The method I wrote, which was for Beta v4 13A, never gives the user that option so you must have done something differently. The thread creator, Thibaut Milville, also has padding in his normal map. Is it possible this is causing the problem we're seeing? Another thing not mentioned by either is the renderer used. I'm using the latest version of V-Ray, which means a VRayMtl with VRayNormalMap in the bump slot (or VRayMultiSubTex in the bump slot if I'm using multiple UV tiles/sets). I vaguely recall there being a bug with normal maps in Mental Ray which has been fixed in 2014, but don't quote me on that because I could (most likely) be wrong.

Edit: I realized you could be saying yes to "Fill in empty parts of texture" when asked during map export from 3DC and not the padding option. I always say no for what it's worth.

• Advanced Member

Hi Zeddicus,

the padding is an option in the export dialog when exporting the baked (merged) object out of the Paint room after it has been baked (merged) from the Retopo room.

The renderer being used in 3ds Max is mental ray as well as standard renderer. I have the problem in 3ds Max 2012 as well as in the latest beta of that software.