3DCoat Forums

New beta is done!

Changes:

1) Better performance im most operations: baking, merging retopologized mesh, painting, loading 3B-files, importing meshes...

2) Better stability, I have tested and fixed many small bugs on export operations

3) Possibility to import reference mesh with texture, retopologising and merging retopo mesh with color picked from referece mesh

4) "Hole" bug fixed

5) Wine compartbaility (Morpheus, please check, I have made additional improvements)

6) Paint cavity speed improvements

7) Storing last working folder

8) Direct X version crash on opening big files fixed

9) Hue shift slider in change color operations

Still not fixed (but very close to be done):

1) tablet delay bug (mentioned by Lottmedia)

2) Licensing reporting is not perfect

3) Texture resize bug (mentined by Philnolan) - unable to reprodice :(

The link is there:

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-10-BETA4.exe

• Advanced Member

Im a little confused on the license. Im assuming 3d-coat requires an internet connection. I have the pc I use at work that I have been using 3d coat with since the beginning along with a Mac running boot camp at home. The problem is that the machine at work is in an environment that can't be connected to the internet at all. Is there any solution for this type of situation?

Im a little confused on the license. Im assuming 3d-coat requires an internet connection. I have the pc I use at work that I have been using 3d coat with since the beginning along with a Mac running boot camp at home. The problem is that the machine at work is in an environment that can't be connected to the internet at all. Is there any solution for this type of situation?

Internet connection is not required. It will work without ic. New licensing is much more user friendly.

• Advanced Member
Internet connection is not required. It will work without ic. New licensing is much more user friendly.

Maybe its not working for me then. I get the dialog box asking to register, Buy or continue. I enter my serial click ok then click on register. The screen flashes away then returns asking to register again. The only way to get to the program is to click continue but that activates the 14 day trial.

Sugestions

Maybe its not working for me then. I get the dialog box asking to register, Buy or continue. I enter my serial click ok then click on register. The screen flashes away then returns asking to register again. The only way to get to the program is to click continue but that activates the 14 day trial.

Sugestions

Have I sent you new serial? It consists of 24 symbols like XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX ?

If no, ask me at support@3d-coat.com

• Advanced Member

nice job with cavity changes! :) (I get a bit of a slowdown above a 6.0 radius, but below it works

real-time) Also noticed you put back the ability to 'ok' out of the numeric dialog boxes with the 'enter'

keys...thanks. Messed around a bit with the hue shift slider and that seems handy for localized

variation (thinking leaves or just stains on clothes, etc.).

Nice improvements, Andrew!

Hey, Andrew. Everything is groovy with this release. Working great.

One important request for an import .obj option dialog. Could you give the option to swap "Z" up axis with "Y" and vice versa in the import reference mesh dialog so that if we are using apps like 3dsmax that use a "Z" up system, we don't need to rotate the model 90 degrees. Also, when exporting finished topology, have the ability to export with "Y" or "Z" as up. Thanks. I attached a pic.

As an extra bonus, simple "rotate/translate/scale" object gimbals with channel box numerical inputs similar to Mudbox for repositioning reference mesh.

Also, one question. If we import "lowrez" .obj from another app like Maya, does vertex IDs change or retain? Roadkill UV has this problem, so I always have to "transfer UVs" to clean vertex ID mesh when working with skinned meshes.

Thanks.

post-775-1217049103_thumb.jpg

Hey, Andrew. Everything is groovy with this release. Working great.

One important request for an import .obj option dialog. Could you give the option to swap "Z" up axis with "Y" and vice versa in the import reference mesh dialog so that if we are using apps like 3dsmax that use a "Z" up system, we don't need to rotate the model 90 degrees. Also, when exporting finished topology, have the ability to export with "Y" or "Z" as up. Thanks. I attached a pic.

As an extra bonus, simple "rotate/translate/scale" object gimbals with channel box numerical inputs similar to Mudbox for repositioning reference mesh.

Also, one question. If we import "lowrez" .obj from another app like Maya, does vertex IDs change or retain? Roadkill UV has this problem, so I always have to "transfer UVs" to clean vertex ID mesh when working with skinned meshes.

Thanks.

3DC preserves order of vertices.

Flip YZ - ok.

3DC preserves order of vertices.

Flip YZ - ok.

Cool :)

I'm sorry if this is already in there, I'm just watching from the side lines waiting for 2.10 to come out ;)

I work in games and some of the assets we have are huge in scale, I've noticed problems in some apps like silo when i try to import massive .obj's

Is there an option to scale down and OBJ when you bring it in..and then scale up the mesh you export?

So if i brought in a model to retopo, and scaled down the obj by 50% so it handles better in 3dc, then when exporting the retopo mesh (as obj) scale it up by 50%

Is such a feature possible?

Sorry if its already in there.

looking forward to 2.10 :)

7) Storing last working folder

Thank you! Now if you could get it to remember some other things, for example: Last color used (that's a big one), Pen alpha, and pen reaction. For my current project I'm using the same settings for these things all the time, so it's a pain to set them up every time I open 3DC, I'm sure this happens to other people as wel.

3) Texture resize bug (mentined by Philnolan) - unable to reprodice :(

I think you actually did solve this by explaining that the texture size has to be changed in the UV Sets manager. If this is the same bug we're talking about, the PSD export size.

In the DX version I keep getting an error where the screen goes black for a couple seconds then goes back to normal and a Windows "error balloon" pops up that says "the display driver has stopped working and was recovered."

In DX and GL the Hiding tool does not display properly. When using it nothing appears to happen. For example if I activate the tool and brush all over a character's hand nothing seems to happen. Now save, and File > Open the model. When loaded the hand is hidden. So the only way to see the effect of the hiding is to save and reload the 3B file.

• Advanced Member
Thank you! Now if you could get it to remember some other things, for example: Last color used (that's a big one), Pen alpha, and pen reaction. For my current project I'm using the same settings for these things all the time, so it's a pain to set them up every time I open 3DC, I'm sure this happens to other people as well.

Perhaps these saved settings should be part of the pen 'Preset' (now it only saves pen alpha and pen parameters, but not

color...unsure what's meant by "pen reaction"). I can see how saving color would be quite important for lots

of stuff.

I have updated the link to BETA4A. Changes:

1) Save dialog improved. Sometimes extension was ignored

2) 3DC stores color, pen radius, depth, ... If you want to store some additional params just tell

3) 3 essential OpenGL errors was found and fixed, I hope OpenGL will work on PC-s that was failed to work with GL version

4) Background color is properly used

5) UV-window becomes movable and scalable

6) Swap YZ done

Thanks for testing!

• Advanced Member

hmm..something is a little unstable with this update for me.

I tried to save a preset with new color (and deleted the old, after

saving the new which was based upon the 'old' preset) and both

DX and OGL versions got buggy displays. Reinstalled over the top

of my previous install but display bugs still exist:

unstable.jpg

The display 'flickers' and lags when I now use 'alt' and rotate camera view.

(and numbers are hosed as in screenshot)

• Advanced Member
some small bugs:

In 2.10beta4,when press '6',the model disappears.

In GL version,when navigating,I often find some unkown delay.

In retopo mode,the function "incremental subdivision" seems have problem.

Now,in 2.10beta4a,when use "select and operate",the selected edges and faces do not keep highlight ,it is inconvenience.

unsure what's meant by "pen reaction").

"Pen reaction" was the only name I could think of. It's in the upper left corner where you choose things like what the pen pressure controls. If you look at the tool tip for that button it says " Reaction on pen pressure or Mouse click".

Is it me or did the background get darker in B4A?

Something fishy is going on with 2D painting. See video:

http://screencast.com/t/pflLL4SWuDZ

"2) 3DC stores color, pen radius, depth, ... If you want to store some additional params just tell"

Andrew can you consider storing if you were using the 'Depth' and 'Specularity' in the brush, well how about storing all those brush values,

Strip, Masks, Material, Depth, Specularity. right now its annoying turning off Depth and Specularity every restart.

Also, how about remembering the brush type used, for example I only use the brush that 'Alters the depth depending on pen pressure' but of course 3dc, defaults to the first one. Remembering what brush type was used last would be very helpful.

And thanks for remembering the hotkeys for brush radius and such! working great. Also, I know this was already mentioned but being able to map Move and Rotate to hotkeys and remembering those settings would be very useful, it would free up the pen's buttons (which are currently the only solution to not putting your hand back on the mouse).

thanks!!

P.S. I see from above that philnolan3d wants similar things remembered as well. Might as well throw the top bar options in there as well Soft stroke, Radius, Falloff, Depth, Smoothing, Transparency, Specularity. I, like philnolan3d, use a similar Transparency every time, its a pain to keep changing..

I just realized that the brush presets do save the color after you enable that option. What I was talking about wasn't that though. In Photoshop suppose you're painting with blue. Then you close Photoshop and reopen it, the FG color is still blue. The same would happen with any color. In 3DC every time you open it, no matter what you did last time, it's always the same bright green. The presets are better than nothing but you still have to remember which preset you were using and actively remember to save a preset before you shut down or the computer crashes or whatever.

• Advanced Member

philnolan3d,

I'm pretty sure Andrew implemented your request for color, since I just opened beta4A and it started

with a rusty brown I'd left off with when closing. Another option for you would have been to create

a palette (3DC uses same .aco file that Photoshop uses) for yourself and save the colors you wanted

(but of course that wouldn't have covered the other things like pen alpha, depth, radius, 'reaction', etc.

... which I'd thought was the point of the 'preset' Andrew had created in early development of 3DC/3Dbrush). :)

Ok, just tested newest version. I'm getting the same bugs. OpenGL bug crashes with "out of memory". Direct3d gives me a dialog box with "Couldn't create Direct3D device interface." error.

**EDIT: Ok, I just tested the same version on the same PC, but with my 32bit Windows XP partition and it runs fine, so it's related to something with Windows XP x64 bit. Hopefully, it'll run on my 64bit partition again. The ATI drivers run a bit strange on 64bit OS.

I still have big issues with the freeze tool. Almost everything you do with it is extremely slow and appears to lock up (freeze up?) the program until a minute or so later when the program becomes usable again. I also noticed that any of the Freeze commands like Unfreeze All or Invert Freeze do not affect any hidden geometry. I don't know if hat's done on purpose or not.

• Advanced Member

Here are some few bug I found:

-Edges are not highlighted when selected.

-If you want to move a vertex with right click you have to select it before, you cannot just do right click on the vertex and move

-If you have some vertices selected and you want to move an other vertex that's the highlighted vertices who are moved

-Drawing tool still have some bug:

-If you continue a line by pressing ctrl the spline still got a very high density

-It behave strangly on surface who are not even, sometime if you move a dot from the line, it become jaggy

Request:

A multi component selection could be nice too.

uff, one dirty bug was found... :angry:

Options.xml can grow up to big size and 3D-Coat can crash because of this.

I have updated the link to BETA3C to fix it, please check if Options.xml is more than 300 k it is better to delete it.

If there are some important hotkeys you can manually edit it and delete last lines.