3DCoat Forums

Multiple maps/UV tiles support

Frankie

• Advanced Member

This has been asked before, but I think it should be really important to support multiple textures (potentially 4k each), and support for UVs outside the [0,1] range. (shader A would use UV tile [0,1], shader B would use UV tile [1,2] etc...)

I love 3d coat for many things but assuming people will not need resolution above a single 4k is a weakness of 3dcoat imo.

Right now I have to split my original mesh into parts and bring them one at a time into 3dcoat. Now how do I paint the seams?

Franck.

This has been asked before, but I think it should be really important to support multiple textures (potentially 4k each), and support for UVs outside the [0,1] range. (shader A would use UV tile [0,1], shader B would use UV tile [1,2] etc...)

I love 3d coat for many things but assuming people will not need resolution above a single 4k is a weakness of 3dcoat imo.

Right now I have to split my original mesh into parts and bring them one at a time into 3dcoat. Now how do I paint the seams?

Franck.

In general you can export texture of ANY size. You are limited only in texture size that is used for preview in viewport.

You can set any size in View->uv-sets manager and export huge textures.

• Advanced Member
In general you can export texture of ANY size. You are limited only in texture size that is used for preview in viewport.

You can set any size in View->uv-sets manager and export huge textures.

Sorry, my fault. I was still working with 2.08 and didn't see the new multiple shader options in 2.09.

Now working with 2.09. However when I try to load an object with multiple (6) shaders assigned, and select keep UVs, it loads up to 99% and then stops (seems to be in an infinite loop or something).

I tried this with the lowest res textures (512) to be sure it was not related to a vram limitation with no luck.

My goal is to load my lowres object with subdivision, then import the 6 displacement maps associated with the shaders so I can use cavity painting to create the diffuse and specular textures and export them.

Maybe I should send you the files?

Franck.

• Advanced Member

Just tried with .obj and it works fine with 6 512x512 textures and subdiv of about 16M. But if I try with 6 4k textures and 96M subdiv I get an out of memory. I need this fidelity to paint a color that is perfectly correlated to my 4k displacement maps.

3dcoat tops at 4GB because it is a 32 bit application, are you planning to compile a 64 bit version?

Franck.

EDIT:

Tries 6 2k textures and 24M subdiv. It works a little then crashes at the first layer manip -> out of mem. I sent you the crash log. So to me 64 bit is really required as this is too low for my needs.

I had that thought today: will 3dc go 64bit soon and will there be a cost for it?

I want to set up the 64bit licenses I have, even if dual boot, for the larger ram abilities. I can see all of this tilting a 32bit machine.

(My age is showing there. ;) Tilting = reference to pinball machine usage. Tilting the machine lost you the ball. Old school crash. haha)

• Advanced Member
I had that thought today: will 3dc go 64bit soon and will there be a cost for it?

I want to set up the 64bit licenses I have, even if dual boot, for the larger ram abilities. I can see all of this tilting a 32bit machine.

(My age is showing there. ;) Tilting = reference to pinball machine usage. Tilting the machine lost you the ball. Old school crash. haha)

Thanks UnCommonGrafx,I'm pleasure to learn some old english! :rolleyes:

Just tried with .obj and it works fine with 6 512x512 textures and subdiv of about 16M. But if I try with 6 4k textures and 96M subdiv I get an out of memory. I need this fidelity to paint a color that is perfectly correlated to my 4k displacement maps.

3dcoat tops at 4GB because it is a 32 bit application, are you planning to compile a 64 bit version?

Franck.

EDIT:

Tries 6 2k textures and 24M subdiv. It works a little then crashes at the first layer manip -> out of mem. I sent you the crash log. So to me 64 bit is really required as this is too low for my needs.

Really the main problem is that you have not enough memory to hanle big beshes.

Only 64 bit version will be good solution...

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny I just glanced over the first couple lines, without really reading it, and started randomly thinking of my virtual PinBot machine and wondered why. Then I realized the word "tilting" was in there, then I saw you mention pinball.