3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 2.10 BETA5 (Release candidat)

• Advanced Member

Hey Andrew,I suggest to remove the "Swap Y and Z" check box.

I think the "Swap Y and Z" is just no needed at all for 3ds max compartability,and it even makes worse.

3DC's coordinate system is the same as maya's .though the "x" and "y" between max and maya are seems like "reversed",it's not really reversed,it's only the name difference.

It's just OK between 3DC and max,3DC import a model(from max) and then finally export it,the coordinate will not change at all.

"Swap Y and Z" is no needed at all,and I think it will make it more non-compartability with max,it will confuse some new users from max.

Hope you could understand this dialog-----"though the "x" and "y" between max and maya are seems like "reversed",it's not really reversed,it's only the name difference." People who use both max and maya all know this,there is no need Swap Y and Z between max and maya too.

If we check "Swap Y and Z" when import a model created by max,it will make the things should vertical but to horizontal,make things worse.

My opinion is to remove the the "Swap Y and Z" check box immediately(because it makes things worse).

If my explaination is not so clearly,hope your guys who really use 3D-Coat and Max show your opinions.Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Not really sure which software the 'Swap Y and Z' is for, but I know that for both Silo and XSI

the coordinates are consistent for all (only difference between 3dC and both the other two is

that the 'bust' model imports into both at 14.9175 units up from the 0,0,0 point in space).

To be honest, it doesn't bother me if you keep it or remove it. :lol: :D

• Advanced Member

though the "x" and "y" between max and 3DC are seems like "reversed",it's not really reversed,it's only the name difference.

The "Swap Y and Z" check box is not wanted and it will confuse users from Max,because if they check that box,it will just make the coordinate to wrong place(but the hints is ""It is done for compartability with 3D-Max). This is a mislead feature... :(

• Advanced Member
It seems to be because of "Smoothing" slider is set to value more then 1.

Now I have limited to 1 to avoid problems in future.

Please confirm if Smoothing>1 on your PC.

I confirm. it works fine if smoothing = 1

Hi Andrew and thanks for the good work.

I was all excited about 2.10 because beta4 worked so smoothly on my old tablet pc TC4200. It has an old pentium M and a 915 intel graphics chipset. Unfortunately, beta5 is just too sluggish on it, it's not usable.

Of course I don't pretend you spend your time making 3dcoat to run in this oldie. - 3dcoat wasnt supposed to even run on this notebook. But drawing directly on the screen is an awesome experience. Maybe there are some settings I could turn off so I get some performance gain? In the worst case I'll just keep beta4 until i get a new tabletpc, sometime next year.

Emilio

Hi Andrew and thanks for the good work.

I was all excited about 2.10 because beta4 worked so smoothly on my old tablet pc TC4200. It has an old pentium M and a 915 intel graphics chipset. Unfortunately, beta5 is just too sluggish on it, it's not usable.

Of course I don't pretend you spend your time making 3dcoat to run in this oldie. - 3dcoat wasnt supposed to even run on this notebook. But drawing directly on the screen is an awesome experience. Maybe there are some settings I could turn off so I get some performance gain? In the worst case I'll just keep beta4 until i get a new tabletpc, sometime next year.

Emilio

Set low shaders in options. Also, please send me the file log.txt (to support@3d-coat.com)

• Advanced Member

i encountered a problem when trying to double click to hide polygon elements

please take a look at the attached screenshot, the two cones are separate elements(max term) of a mesh

they don't share any vertex but have some vertices at the same position.(top rings)

after importing into 3DC, they seem to become a single element.

they will hide together when i active hide tool and double click on each of them.

it will be great if 3DC can keep them separated for hiding.

cheers!!

post-751-1218931236_thumb.jpg

twocones.obj

• Advanced Member

Hi akira,

I just tested your model and imported it into both Silo 2.1 and XSI 7 and it appears to be

only 1 'object' (it shows up as 'Cylinder01'). I can see that the vertices aren't welded

at the top, but unless I access the object's components, it will only act as 1 object. (and

not 2 seperate parts)

Maybe there is something you can check off in your exporter to maintain sub-objects

within your export? (like 'export objects as groups' or some such terminology?)

• Advanced Member

You need to teak your obj export options, as the file has only one mesh group definition. No mumbo jumbo, just reading it as a text file, only one object definition (Cylinder01) is included.

So I guess this is not 3c-coat's fault, but some export parameter that you must be overlooking in your 3d app.

• Advanced Member

Hi akira,I know you used "Editable Mesh" Modifier for this model,right?

It's actually only one singual object.But there's two "Element" in the model that can be recognise as the "Editable Mesh" Modifier in 3ds Max.

So I think your request is "enable 3D-Coat to recognise the Element of 3ds Max's Modifier ",right?

This feature will be good but will not very necessary.Because you can Detach the "Element" to two separate objects in the Modifier before export it.

And then that will be OK,as show in the picture.And aslo the Detached model twoconesDetach.obj

post-445-1218939739_thumb.jpg

post-445-1218939751_thumb.jpg

twoconesDetach.obj

• Advanced Member

lol thanks for the instant replies, there are so many enthusiastic people here :)

yeah i know its a single object, as i said before those are two "elements" of "a mesh".

an "element" (in 3ds max's editable poly) means "connected vertices", so the object i attached has two elements, in other words, two connected vertices groups.

what i want to mention is that 3DC seems to automatically "weld" those separate vertices together during importing procedure.

that make the object's vertices all connected as a single element, so when i double click on each of them, they hide together.

sure i can export them as two obj files no problem, but that's just a simplified example i made for asking questions

what if i have eight cones overlapping like that, and it is a character model that use a single texture map?

cheers

• Advanced Member
lol thanks for the instant replies, there are so many enthusiastic people here :)

yeah i know its a single object, as i said before those are two "elements" of "a mesh".

an "element" (in 3ds max's editable poly) means "connected vertices", so the object i attached has two elements, in other words, two connected vertices groups.

what i want to mention is that 3DC seems to automatically "weld" those separate vertices together during importing procedure.

that make the object's vertices all connected as a single element, so when i double click on each of them, they hide together.

sure i can export them as two obj files no problem, but that's just a simplified example i made for asking questions

what if i have eight cones overlapping like that, and it is a character model that use a single texture map?

cheers

So please clean up your ideas and post it on "Feature requests " board of this forum. :)

Set low shaders in options. Also, please send me the file log.txt (to support@3d-coat.com)

Is it the 'slightly lower shader (faster render) option into the Options screen, right?

It crashes both beta 4 and 5 on next startup. I had to reinstall - but now I found out that I can edit or delete the options.xml file so it starts up again. I installed beta4 and beta5 side to side in different folders, for test purposes.

But beta4 is still super-fast if compared to beta5. I sent the crash report and the log.txt file to you.

• Advanced Member
So please clean up your ideas and post it on "Feature requests " board of this forum. :)

lol yeah , it should be a feature request, sorry i post it at the wrong place :P

and you're right, its not a necessary feature to switch auto welding on/off during importing

i can easily offset the overlapped points a little bit and move on:

offset605.jpg

and everything goes fine again :D

• Contributor

Andrew.

PLEASE!-------Don't add any new stuff, just stabilise, make bug free, JUST at this point.

I want a version that I feel confident enough with that I can really put in the effort to propely learn.

With the adequate help files to match!

Brian

BETA5 link is updated to BETA5F.

I have fixed bugs that was reported in forums and add polycounter in retopo tool.

Emilio Le Roux, please check lag issue.

Also please check if "Low shaders" mode works.

Yes, no more lag!everything works smoothly now, even the Low Shaders mode, and also the Show Low Poly Model. Thank you so much for fixing this, and so fast!

Now beta5G seems to run even faster than beta4 did, with or without the low shaders mode.

Thanks for the awesome dedication. Are you sure you are getting enough sleep? :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for all the fixes.

I've still got 2 bugs with the beta5G :

with the Topo tool, when i select a group of faces with the 'select and operate tool', then i subdivide them, there're not always subdivides correctly. (i would like to subdivide a whole group of faces)

The second bug is with the topological symetry tool.

I sculpted the werewolf model, and i've got depth, color, and from time to time spec artefacts that appear when i do the symetry.

I thought that the bug comes from bad Uvs, but even with a model with perfect Uvs, the problem occur.

I also tested 3D coat 2.092 : same bug.

post-476-1219070687_thumb.jpg

post-476-1219070698_thumb.jpg