3DCoat Forums

What do you listen to?

Guest Lottmedia

Guest Lottmedia

OK, so I know this is stupid, and we've had these threads on the NewTek boards before, at least, but what are you guys listening to while you work? I know some people want quiet, but I firmly believe that we'll eventually find out they are actually robots bent on world domination. I have to have music.

Of course it changes depending on the project, but right now I'm working on a character piece and my iPod is rotating The Veronicas, Paramore and Katty Perry, with some Placebo in there when I need somethign a bit (but only a bit :) ) lighter.

P.S. I use my iPod because itunes on the PC is a complete hog, completely messes with anything 3d related I'm trying to run :(

Casey :)

Mindless Self Indulgence usually, or Ozric Tentacles; I'm usually looking and failing to find some kinda neo-classical relaxing music with baroque overtones. Necro Stellar is great as well, oh and Arcturus - probably the best although I've played these bands so many times on my PC that if they were vinyl records they'd be flat discs by now :D

Trance mostly or other variations of electronic music. Paul Van Dyk, Fluke, I was just listening to Daft Punk's Alive 2007 album on my iPhone in the car a few minutes ago. I like a large variety of stuff though, Folk Rock is mixed in there, like a band called The Neilds or Belle & Sebastian. On my desk in front of me I have CDs from Cyndi Lauper and Natalie Merchant. I find I work faster and stay more focused with electronic music though.

P.S. I use my iPod because itunes on the PC is a complete hog, completely messes with anything 3d related I'm trying to run :(

Windows Media Player 11? If not I understand itunes 8 came out today. I haven't looked at it yet, but maybe it's better.

• Advanced Member

Depending on err, in fact I don't know on what it depends, but sometimes I hear classical music (e.g. Bruckner: Mass in E minor, Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata), sometimes alternative/indy (Placebo is nice, Muse too) and often lounge tracks (I heard so much of these that I have to avoid the genre from time to time; some nice ones:haunted: sun and air, emperor penguin: burnt sienna and avocado, Bombay Dub Orchestra: To the shore).

And Hot Chip, MGMT, Lily Allen: I don't know, Editors, Jason Mraz, Lady GaGa: Just dance

If you like to a have a grip on latest trends and want to know what will be hot in some weeks, check out hypem.com. It's a meta search engine for music blogs with a 'most popular' list which has often some nice tracks in it. And you can listen to everything online.

mike

edit: and vocal trance radio frequently (digitally imported, a winamp preset)

• Advanced Member

Mostly film music. Williams, Silverstri, Arnold, Newman, Yared, Shore, Vangelis, Goldsmith, Goldenthal, Frizzel, Corigliano, Horner, Shaiman, Isham, Zimmer, Barry, Elfman, Poledouris, Badelt, Eidelman, Gregson-Williams, Rabin, Debney, Kamen, Fenton, Newton Howard... and so on.

Sometimes some games music too, mostly Uematsu or my friend Lennie Moore.

And when I've got enough of those, some random internet radio, smooth jazz, pop or lounge for a change.

• Advanced Member
Mostly film music. Williams, Silverstri, Arnold, Newman, Yared, Shore, Vangelis, Goldsmith, Goldenthal, Frizzel, Corigliano, Horner, Shaiman, Isham, Zimmer, Barry, Elfman, Poledouris, Badelt, Eidelman, Gregson-Williams, Rabin, Debney, Kamen, Fenton, Newton Howard... and so on.

Sometimes some games music too, mostly Uematsu or my friend Lennie Moore.

And when I've got enough of those, some random internet radio, smooth jazz, pop or lounge for a change.

I'm listening to:

drammatica -The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura

awesome game music, very relaxing. and Chris Daughtry (not game music).

• Advanced Member

I always find a bit of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, The Gorillaz, The Killers or even Queen inspirational when modelling and creating concepts.

Jack Johnson, Eva Cassidy and Nora Jones are pretty good when I am trying to concentrate.

But I am into anything that floats my boat really.

I love all types of music and find you can draw inspiration from light and dark, heavy and soft. :)