3DCoat Forums

baking normals

morgan

Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to bake normals after I have laid out UV's. I do not understand how to go between the UV room, retopo room and paint room. I have used auto retopo, but I always have to go back and redo the UV's

Edited by morgan

• Advanced Member

You may be more advanced with 3D coat and want to pick up some of the finer points from a video, but I'm going to type this anyway because I was very stuck trying to bake a normal map and get my unwrapped object from the retopo room to the paint room.

The basic process is simple (but fairly non-obvious because menu item is buried and cryptic and surrounded by similar sounding options).

Anyway, once you have your UVs marked and unwrapped in the retopo room, select "Merge with NM (Per Pixel)" from the retopo drop down menu. Click ok when the dialog box comes up. Click ok when the next dialog box comes up. Go to paint room. Your model will be there. Paint it. Your normal map will be on one of the paint layers. Your UV will be available in the UV room. Your 3D life will be good.

Sometimes your vox model will still be visible and cluttering things up in the paint room. Turn it off by going to view menu and unchecking "show voxels in paint room" (or as an alternative, hide everything in the vox tree).

Edited by Pix Jigsaw

Pix, I have tried what you said,...maybe literally 30-40 times over the course of a year and I continue to get mixed results. The UV's are usually broken, I keep thinking that I am missing a critical step but everyone keeps assuring me that is the steps to rebake UV's....le sigh.

While you are still in the Retopo Room, mark your seams and be sure to "Unwrap" while still in this Room. Then, you must use one of the "Merge" commands from the "Retopo Menu" to send your model to the Paint Room. It is the "Merging" process that adds your Retopo UV's to the UV Room, itself. You won't see them until you perform a "Merge".

Many of the same UV Tools are present in the Retopo Room that you eventually have in the UV Room. Think of the UV Room more as a set of tools to help you organize the UV Maps, themselves - not a place where you layout the way in which the Map "Unwraps" (by means of seams).

Greg Smith

From the file menu in the Paint Room, you should be able to MERGE different obj models into the scene, and use the OBJECTS panel to hide or unhide different objects in the scene. The Paint Room and the Tweak Room are companion workspaces. You manipulate/transform/sculpt the (low-med poly) models in the Tweak Room and the Paint room does the texturing part. It's almost as if the app is split into two major divisions.

1) Paint Room, Tweak Room, UV Room

2) Voxel Room and Retopo Room

Merging in the Retopo Room is like a bridge taking you from the 2nd Division to the 1st, with all your maps baked in the process. It's setup this way because users tend to approach the app from one end of the pipeline or the other.

Edited by carlosa

• Contributor

Pix, I have tried what you said,...maybe literally 30-40 times over the course of a year and I continue to get mixed results. The UV's are usually broken, I keep thinking that I am missing a critical step but everyone keeps assuring me that is the steps to rebake UV's....le sigh.

Perhaps when merging you may need to check "Weld Vertices" if your UVs are "broken". A screen shot of what you get would be helpful also.

• Contributor

Hi, i put my problem in this threat if it is OK.

I got a liitle problem with the baking, too.

post-24378-0-09343700-1371061198_thumb.j

I have sculpted and retopod my modell but after merging it into the paint room, some details are lost.

In the picture i have a zip with the holder, on the left side it get baked, but on the right not.

Any ideas whats going wrong here?

• Contributor

Ok, after several test.

In and Outer depth = 10 -> same result

In and Outer depth = 1 -> same result

Inner Depth = 1 Outer Depth = 10 -> same Result

Inner Depth = 10 Outer Depth = 1 -> same Result

Same again with that sphere -> same resut

Only the change of "Snap to outer face" solved that problem.

Thanks for the help.