3DCoat Forums

Very nice video on why UI design is SO important

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Hope Andrew watches this. Critical to helping 3D Coat grow and be adopted as an industry standard application. Too many large features are hidden to the user....strange or confusing naming conventions (like 2 different material panels in the Paint Room, both the 2D Texture Editor and Auto-Retopo being tucked away in either a menu list or right click menu in a layer panel?). Where have you ever heard of a "Carcass Mesh," and how does a dead animal or human corpse have to do with a 3D object? The transform gizmo in the Voxel Room is TOTALLY different than transform gizmos in the Tweak Room. Horrible consistency, and some of the most important options in the Tweak Room are hidden from a new user's view, because it's tuck away in the Move/Select tool. If you're going to keep the room in the App, it needs to be brought up to date a bit.

After he finishes Auto-Retopo, I hope he takes a week or two to go through the whole app and clean up all these issues that have been mentioned over and over and over and over and....you get the idea.

http://www.blendernation.com/2013/09/26/fixing-blender-part-1-why-its-broken/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Blendernation+%28BlenderNation%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xYiiD-p2q80

Edited by AbnRanger
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree!

I have a piece of advice for all of you, guys, who is going to add a comments and recomendations for the program improvement.

You'd better describe some possible variants, exactly how would you want to see it.  

As for me, in this case we could propose to rename ''Materials' into "UV`s", or "UV-Sets" into Paint-Room. And so on. I think, if we do so, there will be more chances for us to be heard - and more chances for useful improvements. Thanks!

0000797: "Materials" popup, which is listed as "Object Materials (Surfaces)" in the "Windows" menu, should be named SURFACES

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=797

Why?

You want one more duplicate stuff?)) We have "Objects", which is allready a Mesh list. What is surfaces? Some new 3D geometry? For now "Materials" is just list of different UV-Sets. You can check it if you want. Try to export a single obj with more than one Mesh and more than one UV-Set. It would be exactly what is called "Materials" in Paint and UV room`s of 3D-Coat.

(sorry for my russian-english ;))

• Reputable Contributor

carlosan - I`m sorry. I check it a few more times with different options (materials, UV-Sets e.t.c.) and it actualy a different Meshes of one obj((

Yeah...I think UV Sets would be most appropriate in that case. It's too confusing to new users to see a MATERIALS pallet and a MATERIALS panel in the same UI. Definitely a no-no in UI design. But this has been mentioned over and over and over, and Andrew has never done anything to rectify it.

Same thing with the term CARCASS MESH. I have never heard that term used anywhere else in all of CG. It uses the term for a dead animal/person? What gives? Name it Viewport Mesh, so everyone knows instinctively what it means.

In keeping with the "Simplicity" theme, in the 2nd video, the 2D Texture Editor should NEVER have been buried/hidden in a menu list somewhere. It's perhaps the single greatest feature in the Paint Room...and you hide it away, so new users cannot find it? I talked with Andrew about this, and he agreed. Yet nothing has been done about it. There needs to be an icon in toolbar to toggle it visible/hidden. At the very least, it and the objects + surface materials panels should be docked in the UI by default.

Auto Retopo needs it's own subsection in the Tool Panel in the Retopo Room. That's where it belongs....not hidden away in a right-click menu. Same thing with Merging (to Paint Room) options. They are MAJOR tools/options and as such, should NEVER, EVER be relegated to a menu list, alone. Add the Baking Parameters dialog to its subsection of the Tool Panel. If the user wants to condense the tool panel, they can collapse the subsections they aren't actively using, and open it when they are ready to.

a MATERIALS pallet and a MATERIALS panel in the same UI

Yes) Considering that one of them is a Textures actually.

I just figure out that our test result may be different because of different software and formats. I`m working in Cinema 4D and it took a long time for me to understand that the problem can be not only in 3D-Coat. I try to export in all possible formats and it gives me completely different results(( The most "Correct" resuls was in Collada 1.5 (The only little problem is NAMES like ). And now the funny part - "Materials" are generated exactly from MATERIALS that I apply in Cinema 4D! Finally it all start make sense!)) And if the "FIRST ONE" Materials were renamed into "Textures" than logic start to unhide a little bit) But SURFACES are good to, it make sense if I have an object that contains many meshes but for example consists only from few surfaces/materials (like wood+metal e.t.c).

Two Materials panels. One is textures for texture projection, the other is a list of Surface groups set in another application that you brought the mesh from.

Just in case. Seems all is square. :)

IMHO, "Materials" for textures should just be called "Textures" and "Materials" for surface groups should be called "Surfaces". It would clear it up right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Podcast: Interview with UX Software Designer, Duncan Macneil

An eye opening discussion with experienced UX Software Designer, Duncan Macneil from Cartesian Creative.

Duncan has been creating UIs for software companies for over 7 years, he has Bachelor of Science (Honors), a Major in Cognitive Science, and a background in Computer Science. Plus, he’s been a Blender user for 4 years. I really couldn’t imagine a better guest to discuss Blender’s UI.

With his experience and expertise, he’s changed my mind on several of my proposed ideas, as well as opened my eyes to some of the psychology behind how we learn and use software.

If you’ve been watching the Blender UI discussion at all, I highly recommend listening to this podcast!

http://www.blenderguru.com/podcast-interview-with-ux-software-designer-duncan-macneil/