3DCoat Forums

[Solved] How to delete extra vertex, points

franhazard

Go to solution Solved by AbnRanger,

Hi,

When using the Points and Faces retopology tool sometimes it draws points on the screen space if you click outside the model and they are not snnaping any surface. Is there any way to delete all non welded points such as maya when select vertex and delete?

Also i found really odd when retopo colors changes when you add a new face..

Thanks

Thanks Tony. I knew that process but i was looking for deleting all points i´ve created accidentally inside the mesh etc, at once. In Maya you just need to select all the vertex in scene with a rectangular seleccion and press supr. Is there anyway to do something symilar in 3DCoat or i have to import in Maya to chek those missing vertex?

• Advanced Member

yeah i have this porblem too, because sometimes you dont see the point while creating them, and then you hide the mesh and there is like hundreds of them...

• Reputable Contributor

It's probably something that should be reported/requested on Mantis (3d-coat.com/mantis), because you can clear all Strokes by clicking on the CLEAR button. But with the Points & Faces tool active, clicking CLEAR will delete all Retopo layers. Not good.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I think this is a good example of how many things in 3D Coat aren't always well thought out. That's a by-product of Andrew hurriedly trying to squash this bug and respond to this request and that request and this request, etc. It doesn't give him time to sit down and contemplate how an artist might use a tool and what all kinds of options could be added to help one complete the task at hand, as efficiently as possible. Or maintaining consistency throughout the application.

The Tweak Room is a great example. It's been so neglected, that there is very little consistency with the rest of the application. The gizmos aren't even close...in fact you have a separate gizmo for move, scale and rotate. "PINCH" is called "COLLAPSE" still, in the Tweak room (and in the Paint Room too...in the SHIFT LAYER in Tangent Space tool). Select and Transform operations are all mashed into one tool. VERY, VERY confusing to new users. It's not intuitive at all. He needs to multi-thread/optimize that room as well, cause if you have a decent sized mesh, the translate tools all work as slow as frozen molasses.

• Like 2

So, i guess the best way to do at the moment is still export and check in external app?

I´m very newbie in 3DCoat but i miss a lot some polymodeling tools. I hope someday 3DCoat will work with subdivisions aswell so could use some sculpting brushes as in volxel room.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

So, i guess the best way to do at the moment is still export and check in external app?

I´m very newbie in 3DCoat but i miss a lot some polymodeling tools. I hope someday 3DCoat will work with subdivisions aswell so could use some sculpting brushes as in volxel room.

I think there was some misunderstanding as to your original question. It sounded like you were asking if there was a way to delete all the blue points that can accidentally be created, sometimes. This is why it's so helpful to have some kind of visual aid (screen grab or screen recording), so everyone can see what indeed is going on in the UI/Viewport. To create a screen-grab just press ALT + SHIFT + S > OK button. 3D Coat will upload the screen grab to it's server. You can either past the link here, or save the picture to your desktop and in your post, click MORE REPLY OPTIONS in the lower right....next to the REPLY button, to reveal an option to attach images to your post.

To weld points you can RMB + drag (while still in POINTS & FACES or SPLIT tool) a stray vert over the one you want to weld it to > once you see a red dot, you can release your mouse and 3D Coat will weld the two. Same thing, when using the Move Vertices tools. Except you LMB + drag. You can use DELETE EDGES/POLYGONS to delete any unnecessary geometry.

No need to jump out of 3D Coat to do some of this stuff, once you learn how the tools work.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] How to delete extra vertex, points