3DCoat Forums

Volume Drops off in Tutorials

I don't  know if it the voice of the narrator or the adjustment of the microphone device used but it seems the volume of th elead in 3D Coat screen is fine but as soon as the narrator begins to speakl the volume drops down to a level i cannot hear even with my speakers turned all the way up and the volume on the tutorials turned all the way up.

I have tried this on many different tutorials and it always seems to be the same. I have even tried my headset with no luck.

is there any way to have the volume on future tutorials bumped up a bit for those of us who may have hearing problems?

Ken :)

The one that stopped me was found on General 3D Coat>New Users> Intro to 3D coat:Overview.

I think it may be the ones by the same author. Possibly has the mic volume turned down some or something. I have noticed this on other software Tutorials also so it seems to be a common problem when recording.

I did find some in other places that were a bit more advanced and had great volume.

Thanks,

Ahh ok, those are don's videos. These types of issues usually stem from using the straight audio from a generally low cost microphone and very little or no mastering done. I wish I could help you there, though you could talk to Pilgway or don about that, for those videos.

Cheers.

I have since found a new way to get more information. I notice there are some viedos on the main website that are fine. i can use them and the manual I have made. (I discovered a lot of answers to my questions when I made the Table of contents to the 190 page manual.)

Thanks again.

In case you didn't notice, I am in the Philippines so I sleep a lot when others are awake. I am used to waiting for a day for an answer to questions.

Ken

• Reputable Contributor

I don't  know if it the voice of the narrator or the adjustment of the microphone device used but it seems the volume of th elead in 3D Coat screen is fine but as soon as the narrator begins to speakl the volume drops down to a level i cannot hear even with my speakers turned all the way up and the volume on the tutorials turned all the way up.

I have tried this on many different tutorials and it always seems to be the same. I have even tried my headset with no luck.

is there any way to have the volume on future tutorials bumped up a bit for those of us who may have hearing problems?

There is a little bit more volume on the intro music than the narration, but the voice-over is far from being inaudible. I just played back the one you referenced and with my volume turned up only 20% of the way up it's perfectly loud enough to hear it clearly. Nevertheless, anyone creating tutorials is going to try to continuously find ways to improve the content. Case in point, most of the more recent videos have the volume leveled out more between the music and voice-over. Camtasia Studio is a little bit weird in that the audio can be recorded at a pretty high level (you want to be careful because going too high reduces the quality of the audio and picks up a lot more ambient background noise), yet when rendered at the default 100% there are still a few complaints about the audio being too low. On my Desktop, it sounds about right, but on someone else's it might seem low (like someone using a laptop, which are notorious for having poor speakers). 

• Contributor

I think most of on-line videos have volume adequate for desktop computers, but on mobile devices (smartphones) the voice can turn out to be barely audible, even on maximum volume settings of a device. A perfect example is TED. In some of the lectures I can barely hear the lecturer's voice when listening to the stuff while taking a shower. I know, this is an extreme example, with water pouring all around and making noise, but some of TED's lectures volume is adequate and I can clearly hear what the lecturer is saying, despite all of the background noise generated by water.

If you find a certain lecture incomprehensible or too quiet on a desktop computer, or maybe you find the lecturer's voice too fast or too slow, I recommend downloading VLC Player (it's freeware). It can boost volume over 100% and slow down or speed up the video while maintaining comprehensible audio. It can also stream videos directly from YouTube. And, as a last resort, if you're not technical, you can download a YouTube video using one of the many Firefox plugins and open it with VLC from your HD.

I am using my first and last All In One Acer Aspire computer. They seem to be a glorified laptop that does most of what a PC does. Pretty powerful.

The only reason I mentioned it was the difference between the intro volume and the narrator volume. The tutorials from 3d Coat seem to work fine. Don't really think it is my computer.

I am not concerned about it as I have found other sources for information.