3DCoat Forums

Brush Alphas take hugh amount of diskspace!

red2blue

Hi there,

i am quite new to 3D-Coat and wanted to install some additional brushes. Maybe I did something wrong. I installed some of the advertised packs in the download section, and the folders end up 500MB+.
There are some brushes with over 50MB which are not that special. Did I something wrong? Is there a way to convert the brushes to take less space?

Thanks a lot!

Hi

My \Documents\3D-CoatV4 size is 22GB.

You can delete the brush.

If there are in psd format, could be converted to png.

Ok, so the brushes are quite huge. Is there a way to store them somewhere else then on the C: Drive. I got C on my SSD and the free space is limited. Would be nice to store the huge brush folders somewhere else.

Thanks a lot!

There is a feature request ticket open

Add an option in preferences to select which path is wanted for user folder

Alphas (exBrushes) add existing folder

Let you add any folder from any location

post-10142-0-33283100-1426417935_thumb.j

All the info about paths is in the archive

Options.xml

Hope this help

• Like 1

• Contributor

If you're on Windows Vista or newer, you can create a symbolic link junction pointing to a directory located at a different path. This can link a single subdirectory of 3D-Coat's preferences folder, or even the whole preferences folder itself.

If you want to try it, remember to BACK UP your preferences directory first!

To create a symbolic link inside Documents folder, first move the preferences directory to another path, let's say it's f:\, so the absolute path will be f:\3D-CoatV4. Then start the command line and navigate to your documents folder. Type: mklink /j .\3D-CoatV4 f:\3D-CoatV4. This will create symbolic link in the current directory. Start Windows Explorer and verify that in your Documents you have a junction called 3D-CoatV4. By default it should have a shortcut arrow overlaid on its icon. Right click it and choose Properties just to verify that it points to a correct directory. You can also double-click it to see if it takes you it. If all is OK, start 3D-Coat.

To reverse the process, remove the symbolic link from Documents folder and move back your preferences folder from new location back to Documents or just restore your backup folder.

Some installers have problems with symbolic links, so be extra cautious when installing new 3D-Coat versions. I only tested if preferences indicated by the symbolic link are recognized by 3D-Coat. I have not tested installations, automatic creation of preferences nor if they cause problems with the program when you work with it. So everything you do, you do at your own risk. :)

Some more information about NTFS symbolic links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

• Like 1

There is a feature request ticket open

Add an option in preferences to select which path is wanted for user folder

Alphas (exBrushes) add existing folder

Let you add any folder from any location

attachicon.gifAddexisting.jpg

All the info about paths is in the archive

Options.xml

Hope this help

Thanks a lot. Sorry for answering so late. Didn't got an information about your post. :)

If you're on Windows Vista or newer, you can create a symbolic link junction pointing to a directory located at a different path. This can link a single subdirectory of 3D-Coat's preferences folder, or even the whole preferences folder itself.

If you want to try it, remember to BACK UP your preferences directory first!

To create a symbolic link inside Documents folder, first move the preferences directory to another path, let's say it's f:\, so the absolute path will be f:\3D-CoatV4. Then start the command line and navigate to your documents folder. Type: mklink /j .\3D-CoatV4 f:\3D-CoatV4. This will create symbolic link in the current directory. Start Windows Explorer and verify that in your Documents you have a junction called 3D-CoatV4. By default it should have a shortcut arrow overlaid on its icon. Right click it and choose Properties just to verify that it points to a correct directory. You can also double-click it to see if it takes you it. If all is OK, start 3D-Coat.

To reverse the process, remove the symbolic link from Documents folder and move back your preferences folder from new location back to Documents or just restore your backup folder.

Some installers have problems with symbolic links, so be extra cautious when installing new 3D-Coat versions. I only tested if preferences indicated by the symbolic link are recognized by 3D-Coat. I have not tested installations, automatic creation of preferences nor if they cause problems with the program when you work with it. So everything you do, you do at your own risk. :)

Some more information about NTFS symbolic links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

Thanks I was thinking about this as well since I do this with my assetstore folder from unity. I don't know If this also works with updating 3d-Coat. I will give it a try. ;)