3DCoat Forums

3D coat freeze when render

Mr.Panka

Go to solution Solved by Mr.Panka,

Hi,

I try 3D coat and I really liked it so I bought it, but I have a little problem. When I do a render and I choose where to save the render result, 3Dcoat freeze and I can't do anything. I was thinking that I was because of the trial version but it's the same thing in the full version. I must do something wrong but I don't know what.

How do I save my renders ? I can attach a screenshot if you need it.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Greetings and welcome to the community .

Which version are you using ? Are you using DX or GL ? Cuda accelerated or Simple?

Are you on win ?

A bit more info or even a screenshot will help us to help you.

Hi Michaelgrs,

Yes, I wanted to edit my post with more infos but I had to wait until my post was accepted I guess.

I'm on mac OS 10.11.2. I have the GL version of 3DC and I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M so I think it is Cuda accelerated but I'm not sure. I think I'm doing something wrong I don't understand because the basic head and I go to render>render result every time I click on "save" 3DC freeze, and if I force quit my OS freeze.

33nycqp.jpg

Also, when I double click on a 3bc file, this message appear : "The document “02_2.3b” could not be opened. 3D-Coat cannot open files of this type."

• Contributor

I see , unfortunately i am on windows and i cant help you further.

But , many users are on Macs so kindly wait a bit until they post a possible solution for you.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Michaelgrs,

Yes, I wanted to edit my post with more infos but I had to wait until my post was accepted I guess.

I'm on mac OS 10.11.2. I have the GL version of 3DC and I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M so I think it is Cuda accelerated but I'm not sure. I think I'm doing something wrong I don't understand because the basic head and I go to render>render result every time I click on "save" 3DC freeze, and if I force quit my OS freeze.

33nycqp.jpg

Also, when I double click on a 3bc file, this message appear : "The document “02_2.3b” could not be opened. 3D-Coat cannot open files of this type."

You don't save a render as a .3b file. That is like 3ds Max's file format, containing all mesh, scene and material data. Just give the output file a name and hit OK. When you hit RENDER, it will store the file there, probably in TGA file format.

• Like 1

AnnRanger that's what I do, but when I open the box next to Render Result, 3DC freeze if I change the name, where the file is save or if I click on "cancel".

For the .3B files, I was just wondering if it's a bug because OSX understand that it's a 3DC file but it tells me that 3DC can't open it. When I click on a psd for exemple, it open photoshop and open the file in photoshop.

• Reputable Contributor

AnnRanger that's what I do, but when I open the box next to Render Result, 3DC freeze if I change the name, where the file is save or if I click on "cancel".

For the .3B files, I was just wondering if it's a bug because OSX understand that it's a 3DC file but it tells me that 3DC can't open it. When I click on a psd for exemple, it open photoshop and open the file in photoshop.

A .3b file format is not one you want to use. It shouldn't be able to open it, cause for saving renders, you need to save to an image file format....not a .3b file.

Here is a video demonstrating a typical one frame render. It's a good practice to turn off the REALTIME RENDER just before you cook off the rendering of a frame. If you want the alpha channel to mask out the background, click the "Store Alpha Channel" option before rendering.

http://www.screencast.com/t/m8Rpma1IZ

Thanks for the video AbnRanger. The "Store Alpha Channel" is very useful !

The question about the .3b file was a different question, sorry.

For the render result, I do everything like in the video. The thing is, I can save my renders, but on this screen (screenshot under), if I change the name or where the file is saved, 3DC freeze. I HAVE to save the file with the name by default (Untitled), in the folder by default (Home>3DcoatV45). It's also freeze if I click on "cancel". After that, if I try to force quit 3DC, my OS freeze.

2up8n11.jpg

It's not a big deal, I just have to take the file, rename it, and move it to the folder where I keep my renders. But I guess it's not the way it's suppose to work.

Edited by Mr.Panka

• Reputable Contributor

Never mind, It WAS the "realtime render", it make everything freeze.

Thanks AbnRanger, you were right !

That's good to hear, but it is strange that having it on while trying to tell 3D Coat where to store the file, would cause a problem. I use Windows and it doesn't happen on my end. Perhaps, installing the latest graphic card drivers + (with 3DC closed) delete the OPTIONS.XML file from your MyDocs/3D Coat V4.5 folder (it can get buggered up once in a while, and cause strange, bug-like behavior) + installing latest 3D Coat build, will help prevent that from occurring...even with RealTime rendering enabled.

Thanks again AbnRanger. I'm on macOS, so the graph card drivers are updated by apple, a can't do it myself. I already reinstall 3DC 3 times and I have the latest  public build available (4.5.19).

I'll try to delete the options.XML to see what happen.

I also have a lot of problems when I open a file, so I guess it's a thing between 3DC and the OS.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks again AbnRanger. I'm on macOS, so the graph card drivers are updated by apple, a can't do it myself. I already reinstall 3DC 3 times and I have the latest  public build available (4.5.19).

I'll try to delete the options.XML to see what happen.

I also have a lot of problems when I open a file, so I guess it's a thing between 3DC and the OS.

The latest build for MAC is currently 4.5.23:

http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076&page=1

It happen again, so I did a video because I'm probably just stupid. I tried with multiples meshes, in surface mode or voxel mode.

View My Video

I'll try the version 4.5.23.

ps : if anyone know how to display the video here instead of a link, I'll edit this post. Cam studio doesn't work on mac.

Edited by Mr.Panka

• Reputable Contributor

One last thing you might try is to (with 3D Coat closed) delete the Options.XML and the OptionsWindows.XML file in your MyDocs/3D Coat 4.5 directory. If either of those get buggered up at all, it can cause bug-like behavior. Also, on MAC OS's, you cannot update your graphic card drivers, manually?

AbnRanger I try but it doesn't work. I send a mail to support yesterday, I hope I'll have an answer from them.

On mac, you can't update your GC drivers manually, it's done via an update to the OS, it's automatic and it's done by apple. I'm sure I could fine a solution to do it myself, by downloading it from internet and C/C it in the system, but I'm a little afraid to do it myself. My OS is up to date, so I don't think that's the problem. If nothing else works, I'll try to see how I can do that.

Thanks again everybody for the help.