3DCoat Forums

sculpting hard surface pipes and tubes info and link please?

hexadecimale

Go to solution Solved by digman,

Hello,

I am in the process to sculpt primitive voxel pipes and tubes to create a library of bent pipes and tubes

1) I found out from 3D coat manual that stroke mode could be a way to go.Let me know if there is  another or easier way please...

2) I tried various combination to use Curve Stroke but I am unable to bend anything beside the green spline editing points, change spline type, and ending the spline that sticks to the surface of a sculpted cylinder or tube.

3) I looked on google and youtube but I do not seem to be able to find more info to bend sculpted voxels.

Can anyone show me a good link or teach me how to sculpt and bend cylinders and tubes?

Those sculpted cylinders and tubes will be then used for retopo later on to model space ships :)

Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas and Happy New year everyone

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

The below is not a tutorial but couple of methods.

Choose the cylinder that has a free form cage. 

Pose tool with your own created soft falloff. The default falloff is too sharp, needs to be gentler.

Attached image shows the free form cage on the cylinder primitive (left side) and the result of another pipe using the pose tool on the right side of the image... Some clean up was done after using the pose tool.

You can move the transform gizmo by holding down the shift key to better place for the bend you are going for.

The pose tool also has a free form cage.Look in the picture. I did not use it in my example.

The edit pose falloff is in the panel as well. The picture shows you the falloff curve used...

Practice using the methods with the tools panels and you will get the hang of it. 

After you get your bends, you can add more to the pipes...

Pipes not shown for quality but to show the method...

post-518-0-53532200-1451426514_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-36513100-1451426543_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1