3DCoat Forums

Problem with Retopo

• Contributor

The stroke tool can fail on occasion. You have some cleanup. To see it, hide the sculpt (in the VoxTree window) and use the Polygon  Delete tool to delete those hidden polygons.

You can then use the Move tool in edge mode (top bar) to drag the top loop up and the bottom loop down. The use the Split Ring tool to create loops where you want them,

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

No I don't think the amount of poly's will be the issue, 3dc can handle millions of those things.

As Tony said earlier though, sometimes the strokes tool can mess up a bit, I know I've had a lot of issues with it in the past while also having symmetry active.

Weird because I can't hide my model - I checked this on laptop (3d Coat 4.1.17D) and on PC (new version of software) . Anyway thanks.

Sorry, but you are using wrong tools, Voxel is the outliner of sculpt models and Retopo group the outliner of retopo meshes.

For your task there are two condition:

1. If your reference contain several sub-object, go to

4.5.17 = > "Windows" - "Popups" - "Sub-Objects" panel

4.5.39 = >  "Windows > Popups > Paint Objects". and/or "Windows > Popups > Surface Materials" panel

to hide/show each parts(sub-object) of the reference mesh. As shown in the picture below:

2. If your reference is one object(only contain one sub-object). I'm afraid you can't hide part of it yet. But you can hide the whole reference mesh.*

post-10142-0-77844000-1463744807_thumb.j

If you really want to hide/show part of the reference mesh by per faces/polygons, you can import the reference mesh to per pixel painting or Microvertext painting mode and use hide tool in paint room to hide each faces/polygons. Then switch to Retopo mode to retopo.

But this is really not a good suggestion. It's better to use "File" - "Import" -"Reference Mesh" to import the reference mesh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

* To hide part of it you have to cut up reference object into various parts and import one reference model with several sub-objects (obj file) then hide/unhide when necessary.

In 3D-Coat, use "File" - "Import" -"Reference Mesh" to import that file, then open "Windows" - "Popups" - "Sub-Objects" panel, you could see there are the sub-objects.

Edited by carlosan

• Advanced Member

I think there's some mass confusion going on here.

Kajet's end goal here is to just retopo over a high poly object he has made in Zbrush (original post). But he was having issues with the strokes tool not giving the expected results.

Tony suggested he hide his sculpt so he can better see the polygons that have been created underneath it.

Kajet couldn't do this however, because he's probably imported as a reference mesh and therefore his high poly model doesn't exist in the voxtree, this is why he's saying he can't hide his model.

Carlosan has given the right answer though, but I wanted to make sure we're all aware what the intended goal is here.

"Windows" - "Popups" - "Sub-Objects"

I think different terminology in other apps might have caused a little slip-up there! The window that Kajet needs in order to hide his reference mesh in the retopo room is "Windows > Popups > Paint Objects". and/or "Windows > Popups > Surface Materials" if he'd rather hide by UV's (I think that's what surface materials is anyway, to be honest I find the terminology confusing inside 3dc)

Alternatively, Kajet, you could jump to the paint room, and hide the reference from there.

Or, simply import your high poly mesh into the sculpt room as a surface object (without voxelisation) and then it will exist in the VoxTree,

• Like 1

I think different terminology in other apps might have caused a little slip-up there! The window that Kajet needs in order to hide his reference mesh in the retopo room is "Windows > Popups > Paint Objects". and/or "Windows > Popups > Surface Materials" if he'd rather hide by UV's (I think that's what surface materials is anyway, to be honest I find the terminology confusing inside 3dc)

Alternatively, Kajet, you could jump to the paint room, and hide the reference from there.

Or, simply import your high poly mesh into the sculpt room as a surface object (without voxelisation) and then it will exist in the VoxTree,

You're right! Thank you so much :*, Another Question - Can I change opacity of visibility my model? Instead of hiding it. Zbrush have something like that.

Edited by Kajet

• Reputable Contributor

The best thing to do is to forget the REFERENCE MESH. It's an old, legacy option that should be removed from the application altogether. Importing your high poly objects into the Sculpt room is the way to go. It handles high poly counts SO much better and gives you a ton of options you just don't have with the dilapidated "Reference Mesh" option.

As for the Strokes tool issue....when you get a situation like that, UNDO and increase your SPLINE POINTS DENSITY, in the Toolbar (above the viewport), and try again. That will probably solve your issue. When you have too few points, part of your stroke can dip beneath the surface and it can cause incomplete results like this. The Strokes tool is probably the most versatile of all the Retopo tools, so I would use it first and go as far as you can with it...using the others to sort of clean up the rest.