3DCoat Forums

Why is my model still so glossy?

derrickAziz

Hello everyone.

I'm new to 3D Coat, currently using the trial version now. I imported a model I made in blender and no matter what I do it's still very glossy.

So far I've set the gloss intensity to 0% on each layer (one at a time for testing). I've added a specular map and even tried painting using flat shading alone (Didn't work out because I want to be able to see my normal map as I paint)

I want to use the smooth shading option as I paint but it's difficult when the glossiness of the model gets in the way of seeing color. I'll be attaching an image for clarity...

bruh.png

Hi! Welcome. :)

So it's hard to say exactly, but I'm fairly certain if you use a more recent build, this issue doesn't exist. The only way I know you're using an older build is by the glossiness term. It was changed to Roughness some time ago. New builds can be found here at this thread (I recommend using the Google Drive downloads, they are much faster):

Hope that helps!

PS - Be sure to uninstall that build, reboot, and install the new build... Just in case!

• Contributor
3 hours ago, Javis said:

The only way I know you're using an older build is by the glossiness term. It was changed to Roughness some time ago

Actually it depends on the workflow one has currently selected. It will be "Roughness" for "Roughness/Metalness" and "Glossiness Intensity" for "Gloss/Metalness" and "Gloss/Color Specular" texturing workflows.

Regarding your issue @derrickAziz, you need to enable painting with glossiness channel because you currently have it disabled. Do you see that small green sphere at the top bar, between those two white X-es and Falloff and Depth sliders? The rightmost sphere is the glossiness channel which is now crossed out. The leftmost is depth, which you also have disabled. Until glossiness channel is disabled, you won't be able to paint with it.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ajz3d said:

Actually it depends on the workflow one has currently selected. It will be "Roughness" for "Roughness/Metalness" and "Glossiness Intensity" for "Gloss/Metalness" and "Gloss/Color Specular" texturing workflows.

Regarding your issue @derrickAziz, you need to enable painting with glossiness channel because you currently have it disabled. Do you see that small green sphere at the top bar, between those two white X-es and Falloff and Depth sliders? The rightmost sphere is the glossiness channel which is now crossed out. The leftmost is depth, which you also have disabled. Until glossiness channel is disabled, you won't be able to paint with it.

Ah, yes yes. Right. I had completely forgotten about the ability to change flows. Good point. :)

And your explanation is what I would suggest as well, to solve the issue.

• Reputable Contributor

Another dirty little trick is to enable only the Glossiness channel (dark grey sphere) then select each layer (leave Layer 0 alone, always) > DELETE key on each one. Whatever channel is enabled, hitting the DELETE key will erase all channel information from that layer.

• Like 1