3DCoat Forums

"Banding" problem

Alwarren

Hi all!

I am having a serious issue which I don't know how to solve. When I was working on this object, I had cavity disabled for the shader so I didn't notice it at first, but at one point during the work my model went from being smooth to the banding effect as seen below. I have no idea what I did to get to this point (I must admit I am very much new to 3D Coat) and even worse I don't have an older version without the banding (all autosaves already have it). I tried the "Smooth All" command, but that didn't help. 

I am really at a loss now, I have no idea how to salvage this work. I would hate to have to start over, since this took me several hours. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.4aeb8d7045ef44d8fa25c7d282a3424e.png

• Advanced Member

It looks like you are still in vox mode?  in which case it's a resolution problem that should be fixed if you increase the poly count.  What 3d coat is doing is drawing a surface over the vox volume which is the actual thing you are editing, like a sheet over a bunch of tiny boxes.  Alternatively you can switch it to surface mode and then smooth it which will take the ridges out (still better to up the res and then switch to surface though).

Accessible in the vox tree:
Respic1.png.aea0f9d5341a3d01dbd13ab77d579337.png
Or in the spacebar menu:
Respic2.thumb.png.211d5bf1ad5da522204b4edb87ef9ca3.png

Edited by Falconius

• Advanced Member

Voxels - for building basic forms. You can, for example, create a cannon with them. Or a knife blade. But different engravings, and other small details - it is better to do in the mode of surfaces. In addition, as already mentioned, voxels are like boxes tied to each other, and it is impossible to cut one box diagonally, it is either there or not at all. And the surface in this plan is much more flexible. 

• Reputable Contributor

The banding problem normally is associated with thin areas or if the model is hollow which a thin surface.

That kind of banding makes me think your are in voxel mode,

Voxels are great up to medium details, fine details are best done in surface model. 

I use voxels a lot for building form up to medium details...

Thank you for your replies.

Yeah, I am in voxel mode. The problem is, I had the model at this detail and it worked just fine, in spite of voxel mode, as I had quite a bit of detail on it. I *think* the problem occurred when I merged with another layer (I merged that layer into the main model, which has a rather high resolution), but I am not sure when exactly it happened.

I tried upping the resolution, Smooth All, converting back to surface mode, and a few other things, but it doesn't seem like the model can be salvaged :( Regardless of what I do, the banding stays, even if I smooth it over with the smooth brush itself. Looks like I need to start from scratch.

• Advanced Member

You can't smooth it even in surface mode?  Hmm that's strange.  To salvage it you could autotopo it in the retopo room, then switch back to the sculpt room and under the Geometry menu select the "Retopo mesh --> scultp mesh".

2 hours ago, Falconius said:

You can't smooth it even in surface mode?  Hmm that's strange.  To salvage it you could autotopo it in the retopo room, then switch back to the sculpt room and under the Geometry menu select the "Retopo mesh --> scultp mesh".

I tried that, but a lot of the details get lost. Still, better than starting from scratch! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

This mesh have very low voxel resolution.

That's the thing, it doesn't have a low voxel resolution. If I add one more level to it it busts my memory (I have 16 gigs). I had been working with this resolution for a good while with perfect results, it looks like at some point it got converted to a lower resolution and then up again. I have no idea what I did to screw it up so badly.

Anyway, retopo with a rather high polycount and converting back to sculpt mesh salvaged most of it. 

Thanks for all the replies!