3DCoat Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carlosan

Newtek (Lightwave) has been bought by Vizrt

Source...

Vizrt, the world’s leading provider of visual storytelling tools for media content creators, has acquired NewTek, world leader in IP-based, software-driven live video production solutions. The acquisition creates the largest company in the broadcast space that is dedicated to enabling IT based video production. The goal is to make it possible for people to tell their story using video, whether they are a kid in a classroom or a tier-1 broadcaster.

I think it's not about Lightwave, it's about broadcasting products. But probably this will affect Lightwave somehow.

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, druh0o said:

I think it's not about Lightwave, it's about broadcasting products. But probably this will affect Lightwave somehow.

I agree. Depends on whether the new parent company appreciates having a robust and mature 3D application to leverage in the CG industry, or if they view it as a lost cause. The split app arrangement was always LW's albatross. I always felt CORE was their only way out, for long term longevity.  Will be interesting to see what transpires next.

If some of the essential tools in modeler were ported over to layout, the split isn't an issue anymore.

They've already started weightpainting and morph sculpting in layout which is the most critical for animation and fx. 

A few polytools in layout would be enough. People usually create assets in zbrush anyway or for viz stuff any modelling app does that fine. Remember that Unreal is the most popular viz app right now and people basically do the same workflow as lightwavers are doing. Create assets in one app then send to Unreal.:D