3DCoat Forums

Professional Tutorial Videos.

Hey all,

I'm strongly considering producing some 3DCoat tutorials. My only questions are for you, my fellow users:

Is there a market for this?

What kind of things would you, as a user, like to see covered?

Would you prefer project based tutorials, or quick demonstration of a tool in short, easy to download videos?

Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you all. :)

• Contributor
Hey all,

I'm strongly considering producing some 3DCoat tutorials. My only questions are for you, my fellow users:

Is there a market for this?

What kind of things would you, as a user, like to see covered?

Would you prefer project based tutorials, or quick demonstration of a tool in short, easy to download videos?

Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you all. :)

Both! A project that goes through the whole workflow would be very helpful and tips and tricks for individual tools would add to the mix. An important ingredient would be the "why" things were done as you go along. As there are often several ways of going about a job, it would even be helpful if this were gone into. Finally, a DVD would sell if it was comprehensive and got a good review by the Maestro.

Tutorials that cover an overview of the interface and the strengths of the program would sell the product and help build a community around it. I think we all know the leading sculpting software out there right now and how entrenched one in particular is within the industry. Tutorials playing up on some of the strengths (retopology comes to mind) within 3D coat will be of value to any artist looking for either a better option to tools already used or an addition to those tools.

Also, Im a big fan of project based tutorials due to the fact that they show practical examples of the application as opposed to just definitions of a tool or feature.

Marketability that depend on what this application turns into. From what Ive seen so far it has some great potential but its not where it needs to be to completely replace other programs from my workflow. Making the greatest DVD or tutorial in the world is a moot point if the software it was designed for isnt quite hitting the mark.

• Advanced Member

Project based will be the most useful to the artist. Feature based might be good for marketing but less useful in the long run. Focussed project based DVDs will probably be the best. Do it!

Hey man, I had just ask in this forum for a set of DVD (or even something like on CG cookie... but I personnaly like more a DVD) with professionnal quality tutorial.... so if you do something good I'm a customer for you !!

But as it was said previously : it have to be something that show clever link between the different tool (a project from beguin to end) more than just a "video manual" that show each technique separatly...

I'll very glad to see stuff like :

- making a realistic human face (it can go from modeling in voxel with retopo to detail with wrinkles and texture stuff I have no idea about)

- creating a gaming caracter

- creating a gaming environnement

- make a lovely monster (how can i retoppo all those voxel *bleeping* tentacles....)

- clothing a caracter

or any theme I had no idea about...

Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. :)

I've got a number of ideas that I'm throwing around and waiting to hear back from some DVD distribution places.

• Contributor
Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. :)

I've got a number of ideas that I'm throwing around and waiting to hear back from some DVD distribution places.

Another feature I would like to see is a demonstration of creating hair (like the head in the examples) and clothes.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know who you're looking at, but I think Kurv would be very good for this. I have 3 DVDs from them right here and was overall pretty satisfied. If you don't already have one please get or make a pop filter for your mic. It makes all the difference in the world.

a set of video tutorials cuvering the creation of a next gen gamecharacter, with some hardsurface armor stuff would be cool. On 3d-Palace.com you can distribute videotutorials cris the man behind the side is very open for new idears.

I don't know who you're looking at, but I think Kurv would be very good for this. I have 3 DVDs from them right here and was overall pretty satisfied. If you don't already have one please get or make a pop filter for your mic. It makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah I contact KURV a few weeks back, I can't say much at the moment until things are finalized however. But keep your eyes peeled. ;)

a set of video tutorials cuvering the creation of a next gen gamecharacter, with some hardsurface armor stuff would be cool. On 3d-Palace.com you can distribute videotutorials cris the man behind the side is very open for new idears.

Well well well... Looks like someone knows what I am working on!!! :)

You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see my tutorial. Which will hopefully be the first in a series.

Hi ...

How about a tutorial that goes from modeling a basic mesh in another software (( modo , maya .. or whatever )) taking it to 3DCoat , do the sculpting , voxels , painting , retopology and then taking all that back to another software for rendering , That would help a lot . If im not mistaken , a lot of ZBrush DVD's talks about things like that and i believe people like them :)

Good luck .

Mohammed bawakid .