3DCoat Forums

[Feature] Trim Smooth Border equivalent - preset

frmdbl

I wonder if it's at all possible to create a brush that works like 'Trim Smooth Border' in Zbrush,

I feel like it's an indispensible tool for creating rocks.

It seems to not be possible at all in V4, but in 3dcoat 2022 I managed to create a brush with a similar effect in making surfaces planar, but I feel like a lot of subtle behaviors of 'Trim Smooth Border' are missing.

Anyway, I attach the preset, would be cool to see the actual brush recreated (or something better) sometime.

image.thumb.png.6cb172b3ad049ddfba6f5d48eb7f7ca1.png

TrimRock.preset

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi 

Chisel in surface mode is closer, with the advantage that you can use CTRL to invert it.

Closer? To what? Definitely not 'Trim Smooth Border'.

It doesn't stick to the same plane, which is what Trim Smooth Border does, so I'm not sure how you can say it's closer.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Trim Smooth Border equivalent - preset
  • 6 months later...
8 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Trim Dynamic = Flatten tool

Where are these parameters? I can't see them in the Flatten Tool. Also, plane tool is so good, but you need to perform several actions like modify the camera angle + RMB to get the pixel position in the space, next you can use the brush. I think that developers can create a good trim adaptative, to get the sculpt feeling. But it's only my perception. I'm not sure but I feel that in zbrush the trim adaptive gets the normal vector of the face to calculate the trim instead of use the camera to calculate the vectors to trim. Anyway Plane tool looks good! thanks Carlosan. image.thumb.png.6d1808663fb00cc76f115aea1dccdcd2.png

Edited by MJonathan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2023 at 3:35 AM, Carlosan said:

Trim Adaptive = Plane tool

Trim Dynamic = Flatten tool

Trim Smooth = activate "on plane"

Tried this but this is not an alternative

I don't know why the 3D coat dev team ignores the importance of this brush when Blender can mimic it similarly.

'Trim Smooth Broder' is important for creating assets in stylized game environment design.

This is a feature that must be implemented in order to use it properly, away from the situation where 3d Coat is used only for mesh retopology work.

Instead of polluting your UI and UX by constantly adding tools with similar functionality, invest in the work that is important and necessary.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Feature] Trim Smooth Border equivalent - preset
  • 8 months later...

I will echo the importance of this brush )trim border smooth. Especially where I'm drooling over zbrush rock sculpting videos, and am trying to mimick that workflow in 3DC. In blender the scrape brush is something that tries hard to be what the zbrush brush is but it fails (gets close but, it just isn't a Zbrush level tool) 

The other brush that's really neat and usually goes hand in hand with the trim border smooth brush is the hpolish brush.

My experiences/ experiments so far have been underwhelming in 3Dcoat trying to iron out a robust rock sculpting workflow that can match what zbrush has to offer. Now I'm not interested in using rock alphas, since those should be the last level of polish when aiming for either art directed rocks or rocks that have to fill a specific volume. I have several hours of trial and error so far, I might create a thread where I'll try and post my findings, maybe someone can speed up my progress. I have faith that 3DC can be the go to rock sculpting app, but right now it isn't. And I'm not talking about those diamond shaped super clean crytsal like rocks that can be done in any sw after a few clicks. I'm after various kinds of beautiful, intricate and somewhat controlled organic rock surfaces such as these: 

717a426824ada444762dc19672c93b56.png   

626b59e321c891b148a116de9c397117.jpgalen-vejzovic-krivi.jpg?1466115213

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...