3DCoat Forums

Use stencil with Color

swifty

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi Swifty, 

I think there might be a solution that I use. Keep in mind, im new to this software so take it with a grain of salt. 
Not exactly sure if this would cause issues when baking... but here it is (If anyone notices this wont work due to disruption of workflow for baking and later processes, please feel free to correct this post).

Steps
- Select a smart material- for this example I chose a grey/silver material. 

- Select a stencil from the "stencils" tab.  

- Hop into Paint Room (Tab is located at the far left corner right under 3d coat logo) 

- Adjust Stencil to correct scale and position using the smart material preview. 

- I use the rectangular stroke tool to project the design in. 

When taking a look at the image provided with this post, there are two pattern option. One is flat pattern and the other has a bump on the patterns. 
If you use this method with Vox layer, you can only achieve a flat pattern. If you change the layer type from V to S (Surface) you will be able to include a bump and pattern. I simply increase the depth of my brush to achieve a stronger bump effect. 
Hope that helps.  

image.thumb.png.c7f8e66f5955ada8e21bb84a2cbbd9a5.png

• Advanced Member

That was my confusion as well at first. I always thought stencil projection should include color. But actually it does not in any software really. What you/we mean is "projection" painting. It is confusing in part of terms.

As you probably saw by now, you can use this in 3D Coat suuuper easily, just create a new Smart Material and drag and drop a color image from your file explorer directly into your Albedo to have colored stencil, works even with non square images! And even automatically translates proper values from a single color image also for depth and gloss:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01ca4xfe01s2r80/2023-02-19 11-44-31.mp4?dl=0

• Like 1